Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The point is, that Fracing, nor injection wells cause tremors over all. You can't take one well that MIGHT be causing a problem and shut down an industry.

I'm not saying conclusively either way; I'm saying that fracing or injection wells applied to a sensitive site may cause problems. Again, it's the difference between bedrock and a Jenga pillar; fracing or injecting into this specific, unstable location might be enough to cause it to shift, while other, more stable sites might not have any problem.

In law, we recognize the "eggshell skull" rule; that is, you take the plaintiff (or, in this instance, the geology) as you find him, even if he is abnormally sensitive. Just because fracing or injection wells don't cause tremors "all over" doesn't mean that they don't cause them right here. If it can be shown that such activities cause tremors right here--to the sufficient burden of proof, which in a civil court is beyond a preponderance of the evidence, i.e. 51%--then the actors should be held liable for the damages caused.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying conclusively either way; I'm saying that fracing or injection wells applied to a sensitive site may cause problems. Again, it's the difference between bedrock and a Jenga pillar; fracing or injecting into this specific, unstable location might be enough to cause it to shift, while other, more stable sites might not have any problem.

In law, we recognize the "eggshell skull" rule; that is, you take the plaintiff (or, in this instance, the geology) as you find him, even if he is abnormally sensitive. Just because fracing or injection wells don't cause tremors "all over" doesn't mean that they don't cause them right here. If it can be shown that such activities cause tremors right here--to the sufficient burden of proof, which in a civil court is beyond a preponderance of the evidence, i.e. 51%--then the actors should be held liable for the damages caused.

Mine and others point is that there is NO evidence that conclusively points to fracing or injection wells. There is conjecture and supposition that it MAY cause it because of proximity of a well in the area.

There is no proof. On the first page of this thread the link from the experts confirm they only THINK that is the cause. They have no documented nor scientific proof.

Your Honor, I ask for dismissal of all charges. :D

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I frequently use roundup and it is definetly one of the more benign chemicals that I come into contact with. The most concerning chemicals I deal with are 2-4D and very occasionally, Atrazine. There are others but 2-4D gathers my attention the most as it is a known, proven carcinogen. Not just "may be a carcinogen".

Even as such if you are pursuing such anti technology alarmism against RR crops, then maybe you are familiar with the concept of "the dose makes the poison"? For one thing, glyphosate is a contact herbicide with a relatively short period before it breaks down. Another thing is that at least for brand name roundup powermax, it takes 23oz per acre to control most weed pressure. An acre is 43,560 sq ft if you feel like doing the math. In short, a fine mist of contact herbicide is not going to end up in your damn food.

I know your the environmentalist type so would you rather have farmers go back to the wide spread use of Atrazine, which is a known contaminant to ground water? Not to mention that herbicides like Atrazine rely on soil activity which hangs around for several years at heavier doses. Glyphosate resistant crops is one of the best things to happen for the environment as far as agriculture is concerned. Not to mention that it allows for greater efficiency of production, keeping food costs unnaturally low. One farmer can cover 1000+ acres a day with a sprayer while if they were conventional tilling would only get a few hundred acres done and exponentially more fuel burned.

This anti technology crap for agriculture is just as stupid as the anti vaccine nuts rejecting the benefits of modern healthcare.

So how do you feel about GMOs and lawsuits of non-GMO farmers because the pollen blew into their fields. Just a bunch of media hype or is that litigious Monsanto crap going overboard in small farmers? I'm asking because I'm trying to make more use of my land so I've paid more attention to ag related issues than I have previously. On the surface, it pisses me off but I've not really read more into it to see the other side of the story. If it is true that Monsanto sued non-customer farmers because pollen blew into their fields from somewhere else, I think that is pretty chitty.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how do you feel about GMOs and lawsuits of non-GMO farmers because the pollen blew into their fields. Just a bunch of media hype or is that litigious Monsanto crap going overboard in small farmers? I'm asking because I'm trying to make more use of my land so I've paid more attention to ag related issues than I have previously. On the surface, it pisses me off but I've not really read more into it to see the other side of the story. If it is true that Monsanto sued non-customer farmers because pollen blew into their fields from somewhere else, I think that is pretty chitty.

Monsanto is by no means the patron saint of companies. The kind of bull$hit you described is the crap side of Monsanto. The technology however is great and offers greater flexibility and opportunities to the farmer. Also other herbicides besides just RR crops and glyphosphate, they help develop help produce larger and healthier crops. The fact that we can produce more volume of food on the same or less amount of acres than in the past is amazing. We have to embrace this new technology to feed the world.

They can just be a bit of an a$$ of a company sometimes. They are pretty damn near a monopoly at this point. Just have to take the good with the bad and if their products didn't pay you back, there would be no need to use that product.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to me the only people that think the drilling/fracing/injection are whatever is not the cause of these earthquakes get a check from the oil industry in some form.

Latest posts

Top Bottom