Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Southern Kansas shut down injection wells over the amount of seismic activity, and now the seismic activity has stopped... I'm no hippy but the oil and gas industry deniers are being blatantly obtuse.

The mention that man made earthquakes are not covered by quake insurance has me reading my insurance coverage again.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick look at Kansas Geological Survey website claims otherwise.

There have been 3 quakes over 2.0 in Southern Kansas, just this week. More than 10 this month.

From what I've read, wells weren't shut down, the max pressure allowed was lowered.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Southern Kansas shut down injection wells over the amount of seismic activity, and now the seismic activity has stopped... I'm no hippy but the oil and gas industry deniers are being blatantly obtuse.

The mention that man made earthquakes are not covered by quake insurance has me reading my insurance coverage again.
Actually the Kansas Corporation Commission ordered a 100 day reduction of injection volumes, on March 20th, to observe if earthquake activity decreased commensurately.
And it did.

More here:
http://marcellus.com/news/id/122553...-since-limits-kcc-says-its-too-early-to-tell/

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the Kansas Corporation Commission ordered a 100 day reduction of injection volumes, on March 20th, to observe if earthquake activity decreased commensurately.
And it did.

More here:
http://marcellus.com/news/id/122553...-since-limits-kcc-says-its-too-early-to-tell/

From the link you posted. It's only been three weeks since the volume reduction and it's too early to tell if there has been a reduction in quakes. But this will be a good test.

Like I said, there's already been 10 quakes this month...will it trend down? We'll see.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the link you posted. It's only been three weeks since the volume reduction and it's too early to tell if there has been a reduction in quakes. But this will be a good test.

Like I said, there's already been 10 quakes this month...will it trend down? We'll see.
Yes, but were those 10 quakes in the 2 counties where the injection volumes were reduced or are those 10 quakes for the whole state of KS including most of the state where there have been no changes?

From the last line of the article it sounds like they are gradually reducing the injection levels to nearly 0 and they may ban injection in those 2 counties entirely after the 100 days.
They ordered a gradual reduction of injection volumes because they were afraid that a sudden halt of waste injection might induce an earthquake. LOL

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Central southern Kansas. I didn't look at which counties though...

Edit: just looked it up...Same county/counties.

Two just this week in Harper. 1 in Sumner

We'll have to watch it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom