OKC Area gun clubs- OKCGC or TCGC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45mutt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I belong to both clubs. OKC has more ranges and better facilities. TriCity has a more relaxed and helpful atmosphere than OKC does.
Shooters at TriCity seem to be more polite in closing ranges so other shooters can put up targets. OKC has members who come and spread their gear across three or four tables and use that many target frames. It takes an act of Congress to get them to shut down so a newcomer can set up targets.
The first person on the range is the range master but no one ever seems to step up to the responsibility.
I've seen Whitey, the bench rest range "honcho" at OKC, throw a fit and shut the range down running off several shooters. It wasn't a scheduled shutdown.
Other than that, OKC has really nice facilitites.
And so does TriCity, though not as many nor as large.
If you have the money, join both. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. You get tired of one, go to the other.

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In Whitey's defense, I have spoken with him several times and shoot with him monthly at the military bolt action match. He is very safety oriented and that is paramount with him as it should be with others. The rules are plainly stated at the range and I have never seen any of the problems that you have encountered. Maybe you were there with a bunch of rookies. But I shoot regularily with a range director fo the bullseys range and I can vouch for the professionalism at Okc Gun range.

Whitey is a great guy and an asset to the range. If it were not for people like him there wouldn't be a OKC gun range.

MilitaryBolt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Penman
You only get on Whitey's bad side by breaking the rules and nowadays we have to do all we can do to keep everyone safe even if it hurts a few peoples feelings. So follow the rules and all will be well.

Ron

okc_plinking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know I find that as a member for a long time, if you talk to the people everyone is very nice at okcgc just be polite and ask them if it's ok to set up targets I've never had a problem, even when the nephew was throwing 223 brass on the poor guy next to us..... sorry if you're here but he's only 10 an gets off with the ar!!! Yes whitey is very safety oriented, but hey the more people there the more reason to be into safety, the bench rest range isn't the only range there are lots more!!!! if you want to be by yourself then there are lots of places to go and be alone. But given that we have over 1500 members there have to be some rules you know

MilitaryBolt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you on people not stepping up and being the Rangemaster and have talked to Whitie about it but have not come up with a fix yet.
The only thing to do in that case is what I do if no one wants it then I assume the responsibility.

Part of the problem with getting targets put up is that the Range might have been shut down just before you got there and just opened up again. I have seen this many times and it does frustrate some when the Range is closed again and again within a short period of time. I haven't had the misfortune of meeting any of these rude people most of them are happy to shirk their responsibilities and relent the duty of Rangemaster to me.

I have seen way too many safety violations and most were on the Benchrest Range and most was when there was a acting Rangemaster (yes I said acting but if was very poor acting at that).

The Board is always open to ALL members for suggestions and complaints and or I would be happy to send them to the Board if you let me know. PLEASE try to give a recommendation on how to fix the complaint too.

As far as shutting down the Range that is unscheduled he is the Division Chair and has the right to do it. None of the Ranges have a scheduled mowing days but it still has to be done. What people need to do is ask him if he needs any help. Members tend to think that the Division Chairs are paid to take care of their Ranges and they are not and they have to work the repairs into their schedules.

I think most all of us are out there to have a good time and be safe so please don't get frustrated. Instead please give us suggestions on how to fix the problems.

Ron

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just complaining doesn't do anything. If you have this many complaints, go to the board or drop your membership. That will really show em don't you think?

MilitaryBolt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there is a problem that has not been addressed and needs to be.
I think we need to get more suggestions on what will be the best solution and do it quickly before something does happen.

I will talk personally to him and then the Board and do so until something is done and let you all know what happens.
The Board can form committees to look into problems and I'll push for that if nothing is done. Any member can go to the meetings and ask that these concerns be addressed.
I know you said you tried in the past and the system failed you but don't give up I know we can find a solution that will satisfy the majority not just one.

Ron

Latest posts

Top Bottom