OKC EMSA Getting bogged down with Flu calls.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks, have mercy on EMS/Fire. Don't call 911 if you think you have the Flu. Put the cigarette down, pull your dirty fleece pajamas back up, dig the wife beater shirt out of the cat box and schlep your butt on down to your Doctor, a quick care or wherever. Just because you show up on a gurney doesn't mean you're going to get in an ER room first. (Of course no one here on OSA would do such a thing, or wear fleece pajamas out ;) )

From News9:
EMSA Responds To High Volume Of Flu-Related Calls In OKC

http://www.news9.com/story/20596414/emsa-responds-to-high-volume-of-flu-related-calls-in-okc

OKLAHOMA CITY -
The Flu is putting a severe strain on our Emergency Management system. EMSA says they're running their highest call volume ever, while paramedics are struggling themselves to stay well.

EMSA calls are up by 8 percent over this time last year and is still increasing, breaking records set typically during ice and snow storms.

Danielle Crain is an EMSA supervisor. Usually she doesn't work on a truck anymore. But she is on Tuesday.

"I'm putting up an extra truck to help out the field crews that have been really busy over the last month and a half," she said.

Busier than ever, EMSA is currently running the highest call volume ever experienced in Oklahoma City. EMSA believes it's because of the flu.

In addition, paramedic absences are up too.

"The problem is we're confined to a small box with the people who are actually having these symptoms so when they cough we breathe it in, we get it like everyone else," said Tony McCarty, EMSA Field Operations Supervisor.

In addition, the extra work is only making it harder for paramedics to stay healthy.

"We're running such high call volumes, it's running their defenses low," McCarty said.

With Many paramedics out sick, and record calls, everybody who is clinically certified is being put on the street including management staff, and supervisors like Daniell.

EMSA does give free flu shots to all their employees. Paramedics are also told to go home, change their closes and clean up before touching or hugging their loved ones.

With the flu getting increasingly worse, EMSA paramedics also say if you are coughing and have a fever you are contagious, so stay home.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The calls I go on make me say wth? Bandaid for cut finger, wanting bottle of water to flu with someone there that could take them to doctor. I like helping people but don't tie up the ambulance and fire engine unless it is a true emergency. I average 30 to 40 runs a month just in the evenings. Three more years and I can give it up and let the younger guys take over! 25 is enough

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth ... It's gotten so folks with an EMERGENCY can't get into the EMERGENCY ROOM!!

Seems like people for go the ER for everything. I have friends on FB that post all the time that are in there with a kid who has a common cold.

My wife had to take her grandmother one night about 3am, she was I horrible pain. She got there and in a room, let a huge fart, felt better and went home. Not sure how a 70 something year old woman does not know she needs to fart.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The calls I go on make me say wth? Bandaid for cut finger, wanting bottle of water to flu with someone there that could take them to doctor. I like helping people but don't tie up the ambulance and fire engine unless it is a true emergency. I average 30 to 40 runs a month just in the evenings. Three more years and I can give it up and let the younger guys take over! 25 is enough

Good to hear it's not just the NW part of the state! But not really, you know what I mean. Frequent flyers are becoming quite numerous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom