Oklahoma AIM/ATA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here involved in AIM/ATA? Since the kiddo’s success at Jr Trap she has expressed interest in joining something more than just school and 4H trap. Problem is I don’t know how to go about joining or trying it or anything. Do you just try and find a shoot that happening then show up or what? Life is slowing down just enough that we may be able to fit it in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Both my daughter and son shot AIM/ATA for years, my daughter more than my son. Looks like you're in Okarche so El Reno will be your closest place to shoot registered shoots. Click on the link below and that will allow you to get signed up for both AIM/ATA and get them a member number and into the system. You should also be able to find the calendar of shoots and state shoot in every state there. The Oklahoma state shoot should be either next week or the week after. Paul Hightower in Elk City is still the AIM direct as far as I know. He runs the Red Dirt Shooting Club at Clinton also. Majority of the registered shoots we went to were in El Reno, Ada, Tulsa, Clinton, and Duncan. Also Anthony, KS and Wichita. And Iowa Park, TX. Sparta, IL is where the Grand National is always held. Not sure how old your kids are but I wouldn't trade those times traveling all over with my son and daughter shooting for anything. It was also a lot cheaper pre-covid to do all of that also lol.

https://shootata.com/

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you. So I’m hearing it’s worth it. It looks like there is a youth shoot next weekend in Clinton, maybe we will give it a go and go try it out. She just turned 14 and has really been enjoying it. Along with that, someone at the OSSA trap contest told her that if she kept at it she could maybe shoot for a college team some day so now she wants to shoot somewhere that she can get noticed. Idk if this is the right route but whatever

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So I’m hearing it’s worth it. It looks like there is a youth shoot next weekend in Clinton, maybe we will give it a go and go try it out. She just turned 14 and has really been enjoying it. Along with that, someone at the OSSA trap contest told her that if she kept at it she could maybe shoot for a college team some day so now she wants to shoot somewhere that she can get noticed. Idk if this is the right route but whatever

Yes absolutely. Every single person my daughter shot with and that was on her Grand National team that won it all in the sub-junior division a few years ago is shooting for a university or college somewhere now, except for my daughter lol. None of those offered degrees that she wanted or had a med school attached. Most of them are shooting at Lindenwood university in St. Louis. Ron Bliss is the guy to talk to at El Reno. He 110% into getting the kids involved, guns fit properly and is a fantastic coach.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/ata-aim-national-shoot-2019-oklahoma-team.279284/

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you! We went and shot at El Reno today to try and do a tune up practice since she hadn’t shot in about 3 weeks. Got to talk to whomever the range officer that was there was and he seemed pretty knowledgeable about it. Guess we are going to Clinton next weekend to shoot some AIM event put on by the red dirt shooting club.

So is AIM more on your own and just show up whenever or are you supposed to be on some kind of team that you practice with? Or does that maybe come later if she earns herself a spot?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thank you! We went and shot at El Reno today to try and do a tune up practice since she hadn’t shot in about 3 weeks. Got to talk to whomever the range officer that was there was and he seemed pretty knowledgeable about it. Guess we are going to Clinton next weekend to shoot some AIM event put on by the red dirt shooting club.

So is AIM more on your own and just show up whenever or are you supposed to be on some kind of team that you practice with? Or does that maybe come later if she earns herself a spot?

Ask Paul to layout what counts for AIM scores when you go to Clinton. Any registered shoot counts for ATA averages. AIM averages are slightly than ATA averages and it gets a little confusing unless you're looked at the average differences side by side.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask Paul to layout what counts for AIM scores when you go to Clinton. Any registered shoot counts for ATA averages. AIM averages are slightly than ATA averages and it gets a little confusing unless you're looked at the average differences side by side.
He did mention that she would have to sign up for ATA and AIM for this shoot. Not gonna lie, it’s all super confusing. Classes, handicaps (sounds like she has to start at the 20yrd line) and the guy in el Reno mentioned she had to also shoot Sporting clays and Skeet. She has shot FFA sporting clays, never regular, and never skeet. It’s all a little overwhelming TBH

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yes it will take you a year to get it all sorted out lol. Handicap used to start at the 19 so maybe they've changed that. Don't have her do anything different at the 20. Just tell her to pretend she's shooting from the 16. My daughter shot the same loads and IM choke at the 25y as she did at the 16y. Don't over think the handicap shooting for now.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it will take you a year to get it all sorted out lol. Handicap used to start at the 19 so maybe they've changed that. Don't have her do anything different at the 20. Just tell her to pretend she's shooting from the 16. My daughter shot the same loads and IM choke at the 25y as she did at the 16y. Don't over think the handicap shooting for now.
Good to know. She had been shooting modified at 16…..she has practiced a lil with IM to try and tighten up a bit but not a lot of practice. But since you say don’t change we will stay mod for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom