Oklahoma Execution Botched

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, those doing the execution probably had no idea this would happen and wouldn't have if they had known.
Second...Mr. Lockett was told at an early age that if you take a life, like the rest of us, expect to forfeit your own. He chose this end for himself.
I don't believe something like this should happen, and I don't take joy in knowing that it did. But I do take comfort in knowing that he won't be released upon a society to do it again and I don't have to support this murderous, worthless excuse for a human being....

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are cheap, right? Huh conservatives? Huh faux constituion worshippers?

The 5th amendment to the Constitution allows for capital punishment.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

So by due process of law, capital punishment is clearly sanctioned by the Constitution.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your argument doesn't fly. You are saying that the gov't has the right to kill people, but only when defending itself? It is either they have the right or they don't. You're trying to separate military caused homicide vs govt caused homicide.... Guess what.... Its the same thing!! The government killing people!!

And you can't argue that bombing the **** out of someone thousands of miles away is self defense!
Yes he can.

You can't justify killing someone for something that they may do!
Again, yes he can.

At least these guys have been tried and convicted in a court..... instead of pushing a button on a keyboard and blowing up whole towns.... killing whoever, without any due process!
Is that how you think it works?

Don't get the wrong idea, I fully support the military and capital punishment, I'm just trying to show the problem with your argument.

Mine are blue.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always felt that a murderer should be put to death in the same manner as their victim. The law doesn't allow that cause it would violate " their rights" and we just can't have that.

I'm sure he didn't die in the manner he wanted to (old age), but regardless....Justice has been served.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far this has been the sum total of your contribution to this thread. Some of us would enjoy hearing what you really think, without the passive aggressive slant.

I find the death penalty morally abhorrent. Revenge killings should not be a government policy. The United States has a high incarceration rate and a high execution rate, up there with the Middle East, China, and North Korea. I don't consider that good company. Our death penalty is disproportionately applied to minorities and the poor. The sentence gets caught up in legal battles that cost more money than just housing the criminal.

It's not. But we can't just release them back into society. If you want to imprison them for life, that's fine. I suggest everyone who is against the death penalty and insists on life imprisonment, let them pick up that bill and the rest of us not have to pay the bill. If you really want to see people's true beliefs, send them the bill. Watch how many want to change their views. By the way, I'm not implying this is you in any way.

Well shouldn't you start executing people then?

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always felt that a murderer should be put to death in the same manner as their victim. The law doesn't allow that cause it would violate " their rights" and we just can't have that.

I'm sure he didn't die in the manner he wanted to (old age), but regardless....Justice has been served.

So you think the state should be encouraging people to commit heinous crimes? Are you do to this guy what he did to his victim.

If you are willing to do that, what makes you better than him?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find the death penalty morally abhorrent. Revenge killings should not be a government policy. The United States has a high incarceration rate and a high execution rate, up there with the Middle East, China, and North Korea. I don't consider that good company. Our death penalty is disproportionately applied to minorities and the poor. The sentence gets caught up in legal battles that cost more money than just housing the criminal.

Fair enough. What would you consider to be a proportionate application of the death penalty for the poor or minorities?

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of questions.....simple yes or no answers would be fine.
1. Did the convicted know that what he was doing (murder) was wrong?
2. Did the convicted know that the death penalty was a punishment for murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom