Oklahoma in the National News again...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Within the last 10 days I spoke with two Assistant DA's about truancy. Both told me that achieving a conviction in district court is so difficult that it is rarely attempted. However, municipal truancy statutes are proving to be more effective. While it is sad that administrators have to resort to using the threat of legal action to get kids to school, at least they are trying.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get it with truancy, but tardiness is going a bit far IMO. The ones who will suffer under vigorous enforcement on this issue, are the very ones who can least afford it. :(
I don't disagree, but my earlier comments about school attendance and punctuality stand.
Its training for life after school when tardiness counts.
In manufacturing facilities, time is dollars. When engineers calculate how long a part can take to produce, the entire companies future production rates and service to customers comes into play. You can't have people coming in when they want. You come to work on time or early so you can be at your station when the buzzer goes off to produce your parts.
I know that may sound foreign to those not in the manufacturing world, but that is life and how it does work in that environment. I worked at that schedule for over 40 years. You come to work a few times late, you might not have a job.
That's reality and schools need to teach that.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I don’t disagree with either of you. There just has to be a better way to go about it.
IMO, Admin is trying to use the law as leverage but in reality equates to little more than a bluff. Although, if Muskogee school board and Superintendent have been communicating with the DA's office, and have their support, it may carry some weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom