Oklahoma in the National News again...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sincere question. What are some better ways?
Public flogging of parent!
It's all about the parents. Momma was drunk. Momma was stoned. Ain't no daddy. After the school called Grandma or somebody finally drug them to school.

When my kids were in elementary school there were kids who showed up 30-45 minutes late. Repeatedly.
Then they told the teacher or whomever they were hungry.
Which got them sent to the cafeteria for an hour or so. For their "free" breakfast.
Then about 10 o'clock they would drift into class, where because of "no child left behind" the teacher would have to try and get those kids up to speed with the rest of the class.
This affected the other students from getting a good education.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sincere question. What are some better ways?

I prefer the use of natural consequences of a behavior choice for discipline. In this case, the natural consequence is that missed/late work cannot be turned in for any class credit, i.e the grade suffers. If the school has the resources and the student shows a desire to work off the infraction, some alternative classroom time for doing the missed work at a grade reduction might be possible. When my now-approaching middle-age son was in middle school, he became lazy about homework. The school had an emphasis called ZAP - Zeroes Aren't Permissible. Work would be done and turned in with reports to the parents on status and the reduced grade earned for being late. The program had the desired effect, along with some parental intervention.

All of the above assumes the student is below the age for required attendance of 16. Above that age, the school should do everything in their power to give the child what their behavior is saying they truly desire which is not to be at school. When the tardy and truant record arrives at some set number, send whatever paperwork is necessary via registered mail to the home to separate the student from the school. Include an application and information for the community GED program. The packet should include notification that being found on school grounds during school hours without a parent would result in a trespassing charge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom