Oklahomans are some of the country's most confrontational drivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Riiiiight....The problem is that the video assumes:
1. All drivers are aware of the procedures.
2. All drivers WILL PARTICIPATE
3. All drivers are leaving space TO zipper merge
4. All drivers are paying attention
5. All drivers are maintaining a similar speed.

Amongst other things. However, I'd be hard pressed to think of a time IRL that I ever saw that in action with the exception of specific places that post specific signage to "use both lanes until the merge" (verbiage varies by states though).

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Aaand this is why I stand by my comment about Oklahoma driver's intelligence . . . or lack thereof.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Amongst other things. However, I'd be hard pressed to think of a time IRL that I ever saw that in action with the exception of specific places that post specific signage to "use both lanes until the merge" (verbiage varies by states though).

It's honestly not that hard and makes sense.

Hrmmm..... you don't get out much then if you've never seen it. I wish I could say this happens all the time in Oklahoma, but the ironic thing is there is a demographic that seem to have a chip on their shoulder that compromise the flow of traffic, because by god, this is serious and they've got something to prove.

Jim Draper

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably all Texans doing it...at least from here to Wichita Falls and everywhere in between. IDK what happened to the TX drivers from 20 years ago but they must all be ded.

Straight up NDFs
Not a chance goes by where they won't tailgate, cut you off, swerve in and out of traffic, Race you, crowd you into the right lane behind traffic then ride the left lane for miles, etc. Then they have the gall to be mad when you flip 'em off.

Florida drivers too, been seeing a lot of those NDFs too.
I see all that way too often.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Anyone who stays in the lane being closed and passes all the drivers waiting is a total ass pure and simple. Lots of drivers think it's all about them. The same idiots blow thru yellow and red lights because they are too good to wait.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aaand this is why I stand by my comment about Oklahoma driver's intelligence . . . or lack thereof.
That's a bit like telling people there have been studies done that prove if people don't tailgate and leave space between them and other cars on the highway the phantom roadblocks won't happen. Like, how many times have you just been driving down the highway, hit a major slowdown and then there was no apparently reason for it. You can tell people all you want that a procedure is better, but that doesn't mean people will do it. And if it requires everyone to participate to make it work, then it's gonna fail.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a bit like telling people there have been studies done that prove if people don't tailgate and leave space between them and other cars on the highway the phantom roadblocks won't happen. Like, how many times have you just been driving down the highway, hit a major slowdown and then there was no apparently reason for it. You can tell people all you want that a procedure is better, but that doesn't mean people will do it. And if it requires everyone to participate to make it work, then it's gonna fail.
Yep. I see it quite often. Folks think they need to drop their speed by 20 mph to drive by a car on the shoulder or to take a tight curve in some situations. Makes no sense.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zipper merge is the way. I do it every day going home northbound through Owasso. It narrows from three lanes to two at 66th St. North. I coast along in the left lane, just slowly passing stop & go traffic in the other two lanes. Somewhere in the last 1,000-1,500 feet, there's always someone poking along with 5-10 car lengths between them and the car in front of them. I just slide in nice and easy, no muss no fuss.

Occasionally some middle lane Karen will try to block me from continuing in the left lane. I just slip around them on the shoulder and leave them to fume over their own foolishness. :)

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who stays in the lane being closed and passes all the drivers waiting is a total ass pure and simple. Lots of drivers think it's all about them. The same idiots blow thru yellow and red lights because they are too good to wait.
And just what exactly is wrong with clearing the intersection on a yellow light?

:anyone: :blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom