Ol lady needs some protection and I need advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of protection would you prefer your woman to carry?

• Pistol

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • Revolver

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Knife

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Taser

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Pepper Spray

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh I'm glad you said that because I completely let that slip my mind. I have a had a couple of my friends recommend a s&w 38 but I'm personally not a fan of revolvers and have been iffy on them.

GC has a Ruger LCR that he sticks in his front pocket. Although I have always carried that Colt 1911 in my purse he has found himself getting in my purse more and more to "get his gun back". I didn't realize just how heavy that Colt was until I stuck his LCR in my purse one day ... :eek2:

Besides that I can carry the LCR on my person (in my front pocket) too and wear "regular clothes". Don't have to dress like a slouch to cover up my gun.

It's a nice shooting gun also. Not good at all for anything outside about 7 to 10 yards or so, but then again we didn't buy it to be used for target practice ...

nhgsr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to vote for the LCR. It's hard to beat the combination of simplicity/reliability/weight. Although it might be a little over the top for most of your mentioned criteria, I have really enjoyed my S&W 640 FWIW.

roknruin1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
academy has a rossi 3" .357 mag on sale for $199 tomorrow only.

You are the man!!! Haha always comin to my aid brotha! Definitely appreciate letting me know about this, i decided to go with this and it turns out she loves the way it feels, getta go test out her new rossi this weekend! Thanks for everyones input on this!

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
academy has a rossi 3" .357 mag on sale for $199 tomorrow only.

At risk of incurring the wrath of BB and probably a few others I just can't help but say...

.357 is a pretty stout cartridge in a full size 5" bbl S&W 686 like mine. It's even stouter firing it out of a 3" revolver. Not pleasant and not something I for one would put into the hands of the untrained, to be fired in a stressful situation, especially a woman (ducks for cover). Heck, I don't like it and I'm 230 lbs with big ole fat hands that can fire 40 S&W and 45 ACP all day long without missing a lick. Even my .44 Mag with 6" bbl and rubber grips is more pleasant to fire than a 3" bbl .357 with hard rubber grips.

Of course she could fire .38's out of it but depending on the lady in question even .38's out of a 3" revolver can be unpleasant.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the thoughts already mentioned about letting her choose what she is most comfortable with. I also think that $400 is plenty of money to open up a huge array of reliable choices and the idea that funerals cost more is absurd at best. For what its worth, Mrs. JT carries a S&W J frame and out shoots me regularly. She opted for the revolver because of a lack of confidence in her ability to operate the autos.

nhgsr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now just put some .38 in there and get her plenty of range time and she should be golden. Lots of practice with a weapon she is comfortable with is the best way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom