Old Timers: what kind of beer did you drink when you were young?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 58, graduated HS in 1973 and went on wheat harvest that summer but actually it was a beer tour of the central US plains...:drunk2: From TX to KS, Coors was the crew favorite and readily available. Upon entering Nebraska, Coors was no longer available so we began to sample other brews. In the mix was PBR, Hamms, and Olympia, usually chosen by price. When we were way out in western NE, one of the bosses went over to Julesberg CO and brought back some Coors for the crew. I personally began to like Oly so stuck with that.

Worst beer experience was being brought beer by the last farmer we worked for in North Dakota, in an area now known for the Bakken oil formation. Back then, things were not quite so flush but that was a good year for wheat prices due to a big sale to the Russians. The farmer, a first generation Norwegian or Swede that had the first nickel he ever made, sprung for beer as we cleaned the combines to return to KS. He brought out Brown Derby, the nastiest thing ever canned and called beer. We drank it to be polite, though, since the owner of the harvest crew wanted to cut wheat for the guy the next year.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old timer dad swears Jacks beer was the best. So good they quit making it I guess. The first beer he gave me was a Coors. I tend to drink Strohs, PBR occasionally, and Schlitz '60s formula.

That would be Jax beer!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Poke78 - I had similar beer experiences on the wheat harvest in late 60's/early 70's. Worst was up in northern Montana - Great Falls beer. yuck!!! :drunk2:

Best part was that back then the legal age to drink 3.2 beer in the bars in Kansas & Colorado was 18; 19 in Nebraska.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom