Old Tulsa Restaurants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the mid 60's both Memorial and 71st were two lane with stop signs on 71st. There was a dinky little bar on the SE corner, nothing else around. I used to dove hunt the open fields and ponds around that intersection.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you old-timer Tulsans are reminiscing about restaurants from the 1970s, can anyone tell me what used to be at 71st and Memorial before Woodland Hills Mall was built? Someone told me they thought there was a farm on the NE corner, where the mall is now - is that true? If so, what kind of farm was it and what else was on that intersection?
I was a little kid but I do remember going to the grand opening with my family and it being kind of a drive out there. Thats back when the BA ended at Peoria.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you old-timer Tulsans are reminiscing about restaurants from the 1970s, can anyone tell me what used to be at 71st and Memorial before Woodland Hills Mall was built? Someone told me they thought there was a farm on the NE corner, where the mall is now - is that true? If so, what kind of farm was it and what else was on that intersection?
In 1964 we bought a new house in Woodland View, the addition north of 61st between Sheridan and Memorial. There was nothing south or east of there until Bixby and Broken Arrow. Not even in the city limits at the time. Union was just little school house on 61st between Memorial and Mingo. The county poor farm was where Lafortune park is now. A dairy farm with old folks living there, it was our voting place for a while. The ponds were there way back, my dad and I fished them during WW2 when gas was too scarce to go very far. I grew up in Brookside in the late 30's, 40's and 50's, and pretty much watched Tulsa grow south.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back on topic, there was a Chinese place a few blocks east of main on first or second street. The Mandarin, no buffet just a menu with chop suey, chow mein and other things that you never see now. Maybe the only one in Tulsa back then. As a kid it was a rare treat to eat foods like Mexican, Chinese and Italian. Seemed exotic at that time.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody remember Lovely's sandwich shop 21st & Utica between the barber shop and the DX station?
then they moved into Utica Square and opened as The Glen.

It's interesting how some times eating something will cause flashbacks.
Was sitting in Ron's downtown and suddenly had an intense craving for baked beans and hot potato salad from St. Michaels alley even though they've been closed many years.

Anybody remember the candied poodle ribs (i mean babyback) at Ming Palace 21st and Yale?

Hot Rod's Drive in at 63rd west and Charles Page.

Latest posts

Top Bottom