Open carry being considered again in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I detect some back peddling on her part.

Michael

I kinda feel the same way, but I really think that she has said too much about signing it in public to back down. The real dead-end, as others have already said, is going to be getting the wishy-washy representatives to knuckle down and do it like they should. Thank God both my senator and representative are in favor of freedom.

Many of us felt that way about our elected officials as well. Most of them were in full support of our rights up until the moment it counted. Its easy to show support a bill you do not like when you know it will never pass.

Michael

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This.

Your legislator must support something at least as unrestrictive as the bill that got vetoed last year. Otherwise, they should be fired in November 2012.

Already on the list of legislators to NOT re-elect in 2012 are Doug Cox (R) and Charlie Joyner (R). Last year, they voted for the open carry bill twice, but refused to let an identical bill out of committee this year. Chuck Hoskin (D) voted for the bill the first time around, flipped his vote on the veto override, and voted against the identical bill in committee. Pam Peterson (R) should have her vote questioned because she voted against the bill last year but voted for it in committee after it's failure was assured.

Of course, every last one of them should really be voted out for plain ignorance of the Oklahoma Constitution that they are supposed to abide by with their legislation...

Any way of knowing who their competitors are?

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pushed Speaker Kris Steele pretty hard about this issue when he spoke a couple months ago. After the meeting, he came over to say he thought they would get open carry through "this session or the next one."

Take that for what it is worth. . .which is nothing.

Red Dirt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many of us felt that way about our elected officials as well. Most of them were in full support of our rights up until the moment it counted. Its easy to show support a bill you do not like when you know it will never pass.

Michael

Good point. But the reason I feel I can say that my Representative honestly supports open carry is that he voted for it the first time, AND he voted to override the Govs. veto. He also voted for open carry on the second go-round and he will tell you up front that he supports it. So I really think he will stand behind open carry all the way, even if it looks like it will pass. He is Mike Sanders (R) from Kingfisher and he has been the most honest and reliable Representative that I have ever met. I wish that there were more like him.
I don't intend to say anything negative about anybodys Representatvie in particular. But like Michael says, I know that there have been several legislators that are just riding the open carry train for votes, and I really do feel sorry for the people that they represent. I am just very grateful that I don't have to worry about that in my personal district. (For now anyways)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point. But the reason I feel I can say that my Representative honestly supports open carry is that he voted for it the first time, AND he voted to override the Govs. veto. He also voted for open carry on the second go-round and he will tell you up front that he supports it.

Doug Cox and Charlie Joyner both did and said the same things last year. This year, when they got the same identical bill in committee, they voted it down.

Nothing a politician says matters - their actions do.

VladdDImpaler

Marksman
Reaction score
You really can't even open carry on your own property. In fact, to carry a loaded handgun outside the threshold of your home itself is illegal without a permit.

According to Title 21 of Oklahoma Law, one may carry openly or concealed on private property without a license with the consent of the property owner. The SDA does not take away or restrict the rights of an owner to control the carrying of firearms on their property. This is why locations such as H&H and Heartland can permit their employees to openly carry at their location. And if you don't agree with that, Title 21 also grants the right to openly carry any firearm while hunting, so I can just claim that I was hunting while walking across my ranch from my house to the mailbox.

Latest posts

Top Bottom