Open carry being considered again in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the vote on this is supposed to happen?

Well the Oklahoma Legislature isn't back in session until Feb 2012 IIRC, so not for a while if at all.

And like I've said before, I don't really care if they bring it up anytime soon. We have a host of bigger fish to fry as a State and as a Republic right now.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3rd times a charm.

Yea... OK has other issues to reform ... insurance, taxes, High point beer sales and host of other issues. The cast and crew over on 23 at Lincoln will get to all of it... after they pass proclamations and honor dog catcher of the day, etc.

My neighbor is a reformed Texan who workis in commercial banking. He tells me that we wont get much in the way of competitive grocery sales unitl we allow those stores to stock and sell booze and good beer. Until those high profit products are allowed... all the bigger food outfits will continue to let Walmart, United and Homeland provide those startchy treats (and week old produce and stale meat) that helps keeps us at record levels of fatness.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3rd times a charm.

Yea... OK has other issues to reform ... insurance, taxes, High point beer sales and host of other issues. The cast and crew over on 23 at Lincoln will get to all of it... after they pass proclamations and honor dog catcher of the day, etc.

My neighbor is a reformed Texan who workis in commercial banking. He tells me that we wont get much in the way of competitive grocery sales unitl we allow those stores to stock and sell booze and good beer. Until those high profit products are allowed... all the bigger food outfits will continue to let Walmart, United and Homeland provide those startchy treats (and week old produce and stale meat) that helps keeps us at record levels of fatness.

There may be many reasons why OKlahomans are fatter than other state residents, or thinner than some, but to tie obesity to allowing grocery stores to sell booze is taking it way too far. I don't see any link! Will we all get miraculously thinner if grocery stores are allowed to sell booze? Does the entry of healthy food have to be tied to stores being allowed to sell booze? there's plenty of healthy food in stores already. Plus we have many farms. None of which sell booze but all of which sell stuff far healthier than your average booze selling grocery store on the left coast.
and in any case, this issue is more important than second amendment rights, on a 2A Forum?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to Title 21 of Oklahoma Law, one may carry openly or concealed on private property without a license with the consent of the property owner. The SDA does not take away or restrict the rights of an owner to control the carrying of firearms on their property. This is why locations such as H&H and Heartland can permit their employees to openly carry at their location. And if you don't agree with that, Title 21 also grants the right to openly carry any firearm while hunting, so I can just claim that I was hunting while walking across my ranch from my house to the mailbox.

The statute you should reference is 21 O.S. § 1272, which has been in place since long before you were born. The controlling opinion regarding that statute is Pierce v. State, 1929 OK CR 91, 42 Okl.Cr. 272, 275 P. 393. The statutes have been renumbered since then, but the court opinion still applies.

You are referencing 21 O.S. § 1290.22, which specifically only applies to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act (§§ 1290.1 thru 1290.26).

Additionally, it does a citizen good to reconsider whether or not government "grants" rights. Otherwise, citizens cease to be citizens and become inferior subjects to their government.

Does anyone know when the vote on this is supposed to happen?

My guess? May 17, 2012.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the Oklahoma Legislature isn't back in session until Feb 2012 IIRC, so not for a while if at all.

And like I've said before, I don't really care if they bring it up anytime soon. We have a host of bigger fish to fry as a State and as a Republic right now.

Thanks SMS. I got confused since I heard "open carry is being introduced again". It made it sound like they were trying to do it right now. You are right about there being bigger things to worry about right now.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The statute you should reference is 21 O.S. § 1272, which has been in place since long before you were born. The controlling opinion regarding that statute is Pierce v. State, 1929 OK CR 91, 42 Okl.Cr. 272, 275 P. 393. The statutes have been renumbered since then, but the court opinion still applies.

You are referencing 21 O.S. § 1290.22, which specifically only applies to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act (§§ 1290.1 thru 1290.26).

Additionally, it does a citizen good to reconsider whether or not government "grants" rights. Otherwise, citizens cease to be citizens and become inferior subjects to their government.

My guess? May 17, 2012.

Thanks VM. Well said too!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There may be many reasons why OKlahomans are fatter than other state residents, or thinner than some, but to tie obesity to allowing grocery stores to sell booze is taking it way too far. I don't see any link! Will we all get miraculously thinner if grocery stores are allowed to sell booze? Does the entry of healthy food have to be tied to stores being allowed to sell booze? there's plenty of healthy food in stores already. Plus we have many farms. None of which sell booze but all of which sell stuff far healthier than your average booze selling grocery store on the left coast.
and in any case, this issue is more important than second amendment rights, on a 2A Forum?

Try to buy good produce in 99% of the stores in this state... you can't do it. Point is...Krogers, Albertsons, Trader Jacks...or any other large chain that offers selection WILL not come (or come back) to OK until the booze situation changes.

We are just fat... cause we like it that way.:yelclap:

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, if that happened then I'd just conceal carry in there (or, if I really didn't need it, I'd boycott and send them a letter telling them as much). No reason to deny rights just based on what businesses could do.

We could start a list here of business that put up no gun signs and the emails to their corporate headquarters..... then each of us could start a daily mass email reminding them that they are not getting our money because of their anti 2A stance.

Just a thought

Latest posts

Top Bottom