Open Carry for OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndtish

New to the site!
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say Hello!

I'm ndtish, a permit holder from Minnesota. I will be traveling soon to Oklahoma, and I had a question about carrying in your state. (My former state. I graduated from Edison HS in Tulsa in 1983.)

I found all pertinant information from the BATF and handgunlaw websites, but my last question is about open carrying. It appears from reading in this post that that is not an option, nor is printing. Minnesota does not have a CCW, rather a Permit to Carry, so we have the option of either OC or CC. I prefer a modified OC...OWB holster with a cover garment that doesn't always cover to be considered concealed.

So, is my SmartCarry my only option while carrying in Oklahoma? I don't mind carrying that way, but I get a "man buldge" when I do! So, it bothers me. Not that people generally notice anything there, but I know the buldge is there!

Thanks for your input!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say Hello!

I'm ndtish, a permit holder from Minnesota. I will be traveling soon to Oklahoma, and I had a question about carrying in your state. (My former state. I graduated from Edison HS in Tulsa in 1983.)

I found all pertinant information from the BATF and handgunlaw websites, but my last question is about open carrying. It appears from reading in this post that that is not an option, nor is printing. Minnesota does not have a CCW, rather a Permit to Carry, so we have the option of either OC or CC. I prefer a modified OC...OWB holster with a cover garment that doesn't always cover to be considered concealed.

So, is my SmartCarry my only option while carrying in Oklahoma? I don't mind carrying that way, but I get a "man buldge" when I do! So, it bothers me. Not that people generally notice anything there, but I know the buldge is there!

Thanks for your input!

OK is one of 9 states that totally prohibit open carry in public, with few exceptions.
However, concealed means keeping the gun from ordinary view, so a vague outline of something or a piece of leather that might or might not be part of a holster is not a violation. Don't go all paranoid that only a smartcarry is allowed--simply not true.
OK lawbook:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf

todd740

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ndtish,

OK is concealed only, I grew up in MN and have a MN permit as well and went through the same thing when I got here. Hopefully this state will be going that way soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom