Open Carry for OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I’m not really making my point very well. Let me try this and then I will give it a rest:

• Pre-1996 Open carry was permitted, concealed carry was not.
  • 1996 SDA allows concealed carry WITH a permit. Prohibited open carry
  • 2010 proposed bill allows open carry WITH permit.

See how it was done a little at a time and made everyone think, “Hey this is a good thing”

If you don’t think so, go back to pre-SDA and imagine the response to a bill that would have required anyone who wanted to carry a gun (concealed or open) to have to register for a permit. It wouldn’t have happened

I see your point and agree. It would be great if we could carry without a license...but this country is far too gone for that to ever happen.

Right now our options are:

1) No open carry
2) Open carry if you have your license...which we already have for concealed carry.

So between those options, I'll take the second.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ENGROSSED HOUSE
BILL NO. 3354 By: Duncan, Thompson, Osborn, Johnson, Christian, Martin (Steve), Tibbs and Key of the House

and

Sykes of the Senate

An Act relating to crimes and punishments; amending 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1290.13, which relates to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act; making certain information confidential; and providing an effective date.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA:
SECTION 1. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1290.13, is amended to read as follows:
Section 1290.13
AUTOMATIC LISTING OF LICENSES
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall maintain an automated listing of all persons issued a concealed handgun license in this state pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, and all subsequent suspended or revoked licenses. Information from the automated listing shall only be available to a law enforcement officer or law enforcement agency upon request for law enforcement purposes. Information from the automated listing including, but not limited to, the name, address, date of birth, photograph, fingerprints or other pertinent information of the applicant shall be kept confidential and shall not be disclosed to the public. The Bureau shall also maintain for each applicant the original application or a copy of the original application form and any subsequent renewal application forms together with the photographs, fingerprints and other pertinent information on the applicant which shall be confidential, except to law enforcement officers or law enforcement agencies in the performance of their duties. To facilitate the Bureau’s administration of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, all licensees shall maintain a current mailing address where the licensee may receive certified mail. The licensee shall within thirty (30) days of a change of name or address inform the Bureau of such change.
SECTION 2. This act shall become effective November 1, 2010.
Passed the House of Representatives the 11th day of March, 2010.

Presiding Officer of the House of
Representatives

Passed the Senate the ____ day of __________, 2010.

Presiding Officer of the Senate

I don't see anywhere in this bill that talks about open carry.....

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere in this bill that talks about open carry.....

Have to keep up with the amendments.
Read the version a/o April 5:
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/WebBillStatus/main.html

The Senate Floor version, as amended:
Any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license from this state or a reciprocal state authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not be deemed guilty of transporting a pistol in violation of this section when a handgun is carried concealed or unconcealed upon or about their person in compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
SECTION 45. This act shall become effective November 1, 2010.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I’m not really making my point very well. Let me try this and then I will give it a rest:

See how it was done a little at a time and made everyone think, “Hey this is a good thing”

If you don’t think so, go back to pre-SDA and imagine the response to a bill that would have required anyone who wanted to carry a gun (concealed or open) to have to register for a permit. It wouldn’t have happened

It is a good thing...the permit process is designed to make sure.... your not a felon...your mentally sound....your not blind...you are familiar with Oklahoma law so you don't do something stupid and get tossed in the clink...and your familiar with your weapon...A permit process in no way infringes upon your constitutional rights because anyone 21 years of age can that is not a crazy or criminal can get a permit...I don't see your argument as valid...perhaps you could explain.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a good thing...the permit process is designed to make sure.... your not a felon...your mentally sound....your not blind...you are familiar with Oklahoma law so you don't do something stupid and get tossed in the clink...and your familiar with your weapon...A permit process in no way infringes upon your constitutional rights because anyone 21 years of age can that is not a crazy or criminal can get a permit...I don't see your argument as valid...perhaps you could explain.

Let me try -- please read the Second Amendment and point out to the forum where those limits you detailed are specifically written. 2A = pure freedom as intended by the writers of the Constitution; the limits you have listed restrict that freedom in order to address some societal "concern" as regards firearms. Some of those limits may be well-supported, others less supported by data or experience. If something is truly a right, then a license from the state is not necessary to exercise the right. License = privilege.

Deep thinking exercise: assuming you attend a religious body gathering on some occasions, please examine the lobby or ask the leadership to show you where they have their license posted to be a religious organization delivering spiritual guidance. Get back to us when you find one....

DTE #2: as above, ask your local newspaper publisher where they display a similar document. We'll wait here....

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...A permit process in no way infringes upon your constitutional rights

The permit process does nothing EXCEPT infringe upon my constitutional rights!

Let me try -- please read the Second Amendment and point out to the forum where those limits you detailed are specifically written. 2A = pure freedom as intended by the writers of the Constitution; the limits you have listed restrict that freedom in order to address some societal "concern" as regards firearms. Some of those limits may be well-supported, others less supported by data or experience. If something is truly a right, then a license from the state is not necessary to exercise the right. License = privilege.

Deep thinking exercise: assuming you attend a religious body gathering on some occasions, please examine the lobby or ask the leadership to show you where they have their license posted to be a religious organization delivering spiritual guidance. Get back to us when you find one....

DTE #2: as above, ask your local newspaper publisher where they display a similar document. We'll wait here....

Thanks Poke, that is a good exlanation.

BC

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Where on the LSB website can you find and read a bill as amended to current date?

Not the most user-friendly system; they give lessons on it, but I usually just beat on it until I find what I want..
Link from above URL to the LSB site, then select Basic Search
Put in bill #: HB3354, then Retrieve
It helps to know where the bill is. In this case, select Senate Floor
It brings up the April 5 Committee Substitute sent to the Senate Floor in a file of the SDA, marked up for the changes.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I get what you are saying in this and your other posts. It irritates the crap out of me that we need a permit to exercise any of our rights. A plain reading of the 2A in the U.S. constitution would appear to give us an unconditional right to carry darn near any weapon we want without even so much as a whisper to our friendly gov't bureaucrats. However, the Oklahoma Constitution specifically states in its bill of rights that insofar as the carrying of weapons is concerned, the legislature can make up just about whatever regulations it wants to. Now I know there is an issue of incorporation of the 2A of the US constitution and that will probably be decided soon by the SCOTUS, but since it is the OK state legislature requiring this and since they are empowered by the OK constitution to do so, I don't really feel like they are trampling on my rights....yet....although it still irritates me that I need a permit to carry a gun. I would be okay with a law (which already exists) to declare that possessing a weapon by a criminal is illegal and when found to be violating that law, then have them punished. I really don't see what purpose the CWL serves as criminals aren't going to get one anway

Also, this isn't registration. We just need a permit to carry, not to declare our guns, S/N's, etc. For all the state knows I might just have 1 gun, or many, or that they were all lost in a tragic boating accident.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you guys be yeling 2A every 5 minutes if you were told to Keep and Bear arms was a carry over from English rights to noblemen. The time period interpretation is that to bear arms is to perform as a soldier, to fight. When coupled with Keep it is purely a militaristic term. To Own and be able to perform as a soldier in order to perform one's civic duty?

Just playing devil's advocate. So before you get all pissy, I tend to interpret as the "Minority Report" version (not the movie, the document written by anti-federalists), meaning, a us citizen has the right to own and carry a firearm if it is not used for the illegal taking of game.

Latest posts

Top Bottom