Open Carry News...did anyone else see this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend texted me this morning saying they were talking about Open Carry on the radio this morning (92.1 morning show), I didn't get to hear it. He said some Tulsa Police Officer called in and said 'no other state has an open carry law'. It is a shame that he's TPD and really doesn't know about this and the fact that it's kind of related to his job? I could understand if he was calling in on a subject like string theory.

My friend did call in and correct the facts this person had mistakenly told everyone, listing the handfull of states that don't have some form of open carry and the station verified it while he was still on the phone. So at least the listeners know that the majority of states allow open carry.

O

oklacowboy

One scenario, two versions:

You walk into Quicktrip, dressed in decent clothes, hopefully a decent haircut and no plate-sized gage's in your earlobes. Just a normal looking citizen, not a dirtbag.

1.) You are open carrying
2.) Same scenario but concealed carrying, and while you are inside, your cover garment mysteriously rides up and exposes your 'hidden' weapon.

I think that most people in version 1 will probably just think you are in law enforcement and not pay much attention to it. I see LEOs in plain clothes open carrying often and won't give it a second thought or glance. They just give off the vibe that 'I'm supposed to be carrying this weapon, nothing to see here'.

I think that version 2 is where some granny will freak out and call the police, 'man with a gun!'.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think people are going to freak out near as bad as what some people are thinking because they see someone OC. Now, if you look like you've been living on the street for 6 months, then yes that would probably raise some concerns. But everyone on here that I have met in person have been straight-up, normal looking, decent people. I also know that not every CCL holder is a member here and the fact that you have a CCL doesn't automagically make you a model citizen.

I think a lot of the sheeple's perception of whether or not to panic over the sight of a gun is based in large part on the physical appearance of the person carrying, instead of being only about the gun. I think if you are clean cut and dressed well that puts them more 'at-ease'. I know that's not *always* the case, but I think it would be most of the time.

It's the same thing with a LEO encounter. He's going to feel less on edge if you look like John Q. Model Citizen, speaking clearly, politely and respectfully, instead of John Q. Meth-head when he walks up to your car window.

Anyway, this is just my own personal opinion and hunch.
This is very true.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may not be bs. But if your against open carry and say you support the 2nd is a pretty hypocritical comment

Is it bullsh-t to believe in our second amendment rights? The gun laws will only affect honest people.

You can't pick and choose what makes you a supporter of the 2nd amendment and what doesn't. Does it say in the 2nd amendment what caliber you can carry or how big your gun can be? Does it say you first have to take a class? It does not - but we take those restrictions and abide by them daily. If the proposal was about being allowed to carry a 50 caliber pistol would I still be a hypocrit because I disagree?

Accept the fact that people will have different opinions and move on. I am against OC and you are for it. When the last passes you do as you wish and I'll do as I wish...

O

oklacowboy

You can't pick and choose what makes you a supporter of the 2nd amendment and what doesn't. Does it say in the 2nd amendment what caliber you can carry or how big your gun can be? Does it say you first have to take a class? It does not - but we take those restrictions and abide by them daily. If the proposal was about being allowed to carry a 50 caliber pistol would I still be a hypocrit because I disagree?

Accept the fact that people will have different opinions and move on. I am against OC and you are for it. When the last passes you do as you wish and I'll do as I wish...
I really dont care what you do.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone see the piece about this bill on fox tonight? I swear they find the most ignorant people to interview.

The NRA linked it to their facebook page. That was the most bi-polar news story I've ever watched. Those sound bites sound like they were commenting on a different story all together.

Good guy or bad... there are guns on the street... and a shirt over them makes them no more dangerous (or safe) than one worn outside our pants for the honest world to see.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't pick and choose what makes you a supporter of the 2nd amendment and what doesn't. Does it say in the 2nd amendment what caliber you can carry or how big your gun can be? Does it say you first have to take a class? It does not - but we take those restrictions and abide by them daily. If the proposal was about being allowed to carry a 50 caliber pistol would I still be a hypocrit because I disagree? ~dx3

your herring is red and pickled.

How many of you folks have actually SEEN a civilian packing a gun in public ----open?

The folks Ive seen in Kentucky range from "regular" looking guys out deer hunting on a weekend to "cue the banjo" looking rednecks out in the hills. The guy in Michigan.... well- he carried a "ugly" gun... and thats the only reason we gave him a second look.

I'd suggest some of you folks who carry concealed read up on the precursors of assaultive behavior and stop sounding like twits.... then, do as you please as far as your mode of carry goes.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A friend texted me this morning saying they were talking about Open Carry on the radio this morning (92.1 morning show), I didn't get to hear it. He said some Tulsa Police Officer called in and said 'no other state has an open carry law'. It is a shame that he's TPD and really doesn't know about this and the fact that it's kind of related to his job? I could understand if he was calling in on a subject like string theory.

My friend did call in and correct the facts this person had mistakenly told everyone, listing the handfull of states that don't have some form of open carry and the station verified it while he was still on the phone. So at least the listeners know that the majority of states allow open carry.
He could of just been playing with words. You do not need a law allowing open carry. You only need to remove that laws saying that you can't. He would be correct to say that there is no open carry law in many States. No laws on how guns may be carried means open carry is legal.

I could be wrong though. I'm not a lawyer. Barely made it through high school and not real smurt either.

Michael

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't get to hear it but my friend who called in said the guy was saying basically that no other state allows open carry, like we were going to be the first one if it passed, typical 'blood will run in the streets', 'wild west' crap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom