Opinions on a Home Defense Revolver for the Non-Enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger sp101 with a 3 inch barrel.The grip on a GP100 would probably be too large for her hand unless she is a pretty good sized woman.

Yeah, the sp101 probably would work better, as far as the grip. The 640 with Hogue Tamer in it would work too I think. I like those 640’s myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a 19-3 snubby in the classifieds here for $500. It's a little rough but it would make a good home defense gun. I would probably recommend a 4"-6" barrel though.

I recently saw a deal on some model 10 S&Ws that were police trade ins from France. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411558617/used_s&w_model_10_38spl_4_blue?cpath=

Add says the finish is 60-70%, I think they look like the finish is 60-70% gone, Yikes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if you were going to recommend a home defense revolver in the $500-$600 price range to someone who is not a firearms enthusiast, but someone who needs and wants one to have in the home just in case, what would it be?

I'd probably say a mid-size stainless Smith or Ruger, 4" barrel, chambered in .357 or at least 38+P...something that isn't going to freak them out with recoil, and that will give them 6 (or 7) rounds at their disposal.
The one pistol caliber I can't stand to shoot is the .357 Magnum. I'd take a beating before shooting another or at least require double ear protection. Pistol recoil is what I love, but the muzzle blast of the .357 is offensive to me with full ear protection and I'm hearing impaired.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, Airweights are not going to work. I dig the 442; but for her? No. Need a heavier gun.

Keep ‘em coming folks; good ideas here. Heavy, preferably stainless. I am leaning to the .357 but as said, loaded with .38’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. My 642 was handful with +P. The .357 shooting .38s is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay away from the Rock River, Taurus or any other cheap guns. Not because she’s a gun snob but because you said she’s not an enthusiast. That means she won’t shoot it much and the triggers on those are all terrible. Too long and too heavy for some women to pull at all, let alone well. S&W and Ruger both have reasonable triggers. Don’t forget about the Dan Wesson 15. Great revolver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom