OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, if it doesn’t violate some confidentiality or NDA, could you tell us a little about the work you and your bride are doing? You guys really get around, and seem to have more than your share of equipment issues.

While I can't give certain information, I can state that we drive a van (currently a Ford Transit) that is equipped with cameras, lasers, and other sensors that are allowing us to "image" the roads in the states that we currently have contracts with to get road data. Some cameras point toward the front so that the state's DOT can see the condition of signs, guardrails, painted stripes and anything in the ditches. Another system is tasked to actually take pictures of the surface of the roadway at the back of the van. We have facilities that also rate the cracks in the road that the rear system sees.

Inside the van are different computers that are recording the data from the various cameras and sensors. In our work, I drive the van and the wife operates the computers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I can't give certain information, I can state that we drive a van (currently a Ford Transit) that is equipped with cameras, lasers, and other sensors that are allowing us to "image" the roads in the states that we currently have contracts with to get road data. Some cameras point toward the front so that the state's DOT can see the condition of signs, guardrails, painted stripes and anything in the ditches. Another system is tasked to actually take pictures of the surface of the roadway at the back of the van. We have facilities that also rate the cracks in the road that the rear system sees.

Inside the van are different computers that are recording the data from the various cameras and sensors. In our work, I drive the van and the wife operates the computers.

Update:

I asked today and was told that I could share some photos with you that are already on the company's website. First off, here is one image of what some of the vans look like. Since different states may want additional information, some vans have additional equipment (and computer server to match) to get that information.

PathRunner+Main.jpg

The box on the roof at the front of the van has three forward facing cameras getting images of the roadway in front and the ditches. The system on the back with the silver box (actually two of those in this van) are imaging the roadway surface. There is a (hard to see) black pedestal on the roof in the middle that takes pictures around the vehicle using 5 cameras in that system. The reference to the Distance Measuring Instrument is not visible in this image. That device is actually on the other side of the van.

Next is an image that shows some of what the state's DOT personnel can see.

PathWeb+1.png

In that image, one can see what the three forward facing cameras are taking images of at the front of the van. The grey, textured looking image at the right is one of the images taken with the rear imaging system. The part which shows a satellite view of a town shows different colors on the roadway which are indications of rough parts of the roadway. As for the information at the very bottom, I have no clue and the graphs at the lower right give the DOT's more information of which I am also clueless.

At the present time, the wife and I have a van that is different from most others. With most vans, there are two silver boxes on the back with lasers pointed at the roadway surface. The van we have only has one box in the very center of the back rack. This system gets better quality images than the two-box system. From what I understand, Alabama this year is the first state to get data from this system.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is amazing; something Elon Musk would envy. I had an idea of what you were doing, based on conversations I had with engineers with a company that was one of our customers before I retired, but that was over ten years ago and you are light years ahead of what they were developing back then. Thank you for sharing this with us.

You two travel safely, and take some more great photos in your off time to show us part of that area.

Best Wishes

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning gang.

Well we made it to the east side of Memphis yesterday before we stopped for the night. The detour off I 40 wasn’t bad at all for us. Maybe 30 minutes longer but we went through it at 9pm last night. I’m sure it would be worse during rush hour.
We are leaving here around 8am and that should put us at the cabin around 3pm. Smoky Mountain, here we come.
Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom