OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning guys.

1639570279869.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning, Everyone. A few photos to show this morning as we don't have any appointments nor places we need to go.

From the Aviation Pavilion at the Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, AL. The first one is an explanation for two photos that will follow it.

Image supposedly drawn by one of the Hanoi Hilton POW's, perhaps one with Alabama ties. This shows their method of having a flag for their pledge recital.

Their version of a Christmas tree.

Outside displays at the Pavilion.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20 millimeter belting table used to fill the black containers above for the guns outside.

How would one like to be the fellow loading the belts for this "double barreled" beast? Or, the one that had to keep carrying the containers to the gun?

Signal pennant storage.

Some of my uncles were in the Navy during WWII. I can't imagine how much it would have been to have had to bunk in such a manner.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. taking a short lunch break from packing. We are moving to a new home just a little over a mile from our current home, but the "getting ready" is as taxing as if we were moving across the country. We close on our current home in the morning of the 29th, and then close on the new one that afternoon. I rented a storage unit and have been moving all my shop stuff, stuff we don't expect to use between now and then, and other stuff. I did agree to hire the "pros" to move all furniture and the like. I have greatly appreciated this warm weather. Really looking forward to January and the prospects of slowing down.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Compared to the sailors on board the USS Alabama, those on the USS Drum had it even more cramped. Note the arrangement of bunks here, including the one located above the torpedo rack. I'd hate to have had to climb into that bunk, even when I was young and nimble.

Just a very few of the gauges, levers, and switches throughout the submarine.

I also can't imagine rushing to battle stations through such a tiny "doorway."

Two of four Fairbanks-Morse engines.

Now we have gauges, levers, switches, and wheels.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, when I was involved in Ham Radio, I spent the night on the USS Batfish in Muskogee. Our club was participating in a weekend of Hams across the country operating from war ships. It sits on dry land and was still a bit unnerving being inside for an extended visit. I cannot imagine actually serving on one. Great photos (as usual) Terry.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning, Everyone. A few photos to show this morning as we don't have any appointments nor places we need to go.

From the Aviation Pavilion at the Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, AL. The first one is an explanation for two photos that will follow it.

Image supposedly drawn by one of the Hanoi Hilton POW's, perhaps one with Alabama ties. This shows their method of having a flag for their pledge recital.

Their version of a Christmas tree.

Outside displays at the Pavilion.

I'd love to fly that SR-71 Blackbird..............the need for speed is still with me.......!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom