OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter and I went to Elk City for most of the day today, she had a friends birthday party to attend, and I ran errands during it. Pretty good day considering I quit my job yesterday, a month into it. It made my stress/anxiety peak out like no other time in my life, and I'll be starting a new job on the 31st.

From all accounts, it should be better, lot more laid back kind of place, and better hours/call schedule. I have a feeling I'll like it better, but also know the first good local gig that is not oilfield that pops up, I'll probably bow out for good. I haven't done it near as long as lots of guys, but I think I'm just burned out on it in general. At this point, the extra money does not matter more than de-stressing.

Monday is my first VA appt in 18+ years, going to see what they might can help with, hope all of you are well tonight! Clint

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I had that issue once. It was on an assembly line where each station waited on each to finish their project and move to the next station. (machine tools)
I was never the fastest to complete a job but when done it never had any more issues.
Plant manager came out once when a particular repair was taking a little time and he questioned why.
Never turned around to look at him but replied I have two speeds I work at. The first is to make sure the work I'm doing is safe for my personal safety and to provide the company with the best work I can do.
The second speed I work at you won't like at all and never said another word. I never heard anything from him either and he walked away.

We have WATER!!
We completed the repair with flexible PEX 1 1/2" plastic pipe. We needed a 10' piece, but I had to buy 300' as that was the shortest length they had.
Made the repair and it held. Backfilled the hole and we are good to go for now.
The POS that put in the line used schedule 20 PVC vs Schedule 40 which is more than twice as thick. As the ground is shifting with the drought the likelihood of further breaks is imminent.
Talked to our friend and asked how much it would cost to run the rest of that PEX down the hill so there would be no glue joints, etc.
We settled on a price that was good for us. My task now to clear out the brush and trees up that hill where the line runs so he can get in there with the track hoe and follow the existing line to demo the original PVC and replace with the PEX.
He can clear the trees with the Track Hoe, but it costs for his time so to save some bucks I'll do the clearing. Lots of chainsaw work ahead.
As a side note, I've cleared most of the brush and trees with a dewalt 20V electric chain saw that has a 12" blade, cutting 8" trees and smaller.
Recharged it two times. It runs half a day on a single charge. It's a beast! No hearing protection required. Totally impressed with it. I have bigger Husky and Poulan saws, but no need.

I don’t know what your property looks like but is it possible to just go around the trees without having to clear a ton of vegetation?

Probably a dumb question but this is coming from a person that lives where trees aren’t a huge problem 🤣

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know what your property looks like but is it possible to just go around the trees without having to clear a ton of vegetation?

Probably a dumb question but this is coming from a person that lives where trees aren’t a huge problem 🤣
I get where you're coming from and know your location well as we travel through there annually a couple of times.
This section of hillside which about 200 yards long and very steep has 4 layers of bedrock on the way up. As the installer trenched up the hill, and ran into one of those layers of bedrock shelves, they didn't jackhammer them out to keep the cheap schedule 20 pipe at the required 18" or more trench. He put a couple of 45's on the pipe, went over the bedrock and then went back into the proper depth.
Whenever a pump kicks on, it generates a water hammer even though it's already under pressure. The receiver tank in the well mitigates some of that hammer but not all.
Over time that 45 degree fitting starts breaking the glue fitting as there is no support behind it. Eventually it breaks.
We will be following the original trenching to demo the old thin pipe and replacing with the PEX.
I have to remove the trees in the path because if I don't, he will have to use the track hoe to do that which will cost time. Time is money and in this case at $150 per hour, I don't want him to waste time pulling trees up and moving them out of the way if I can get in there with a chain saw and clear the trees, so the only thing he has to remove is the root balls.
It's been 25 years since I've cleared that hillside so a lot of the trees are 8-10" in diameter.
Lots of work on my side, but I'm not afraid of work.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from and know your location well as we travel through there annually a couple of times.
This section of hillside which about 200 yards long and very steep has 4 layers of bedrock on the way up. As the installer trenched up the hill, and ran into one of those layers of bedrock shelves, they didn't jackhammer them out to keep the cheap schedule 20 pipe at the required 18" or more trench. He put a couple of 45's on the pipe, went over the bedrock and then went back into the proper depth.
Whenever a pump kicks on, it generates a water hammer even though it's already under pressure. The receiver tank in the well mitigates some of that hammer but not all.
Over time that 45 degree fitting starts breaking the glue fitting as there is no support behind it. Eventually it breaks.
We will be following the original trenching to demo the old thin pipe and replacing with the PEX.
I have to remove the trees in the path because if I don't, he will have to use the track hoe to do that which will cost time. Time is money and in this case at $150 per hour, I don't want him to waste time pulling trees up and moving them out of the way if I can get in there with a chain saw and clear the trees, so the only thing he has to remove is the root balls.
It's been 25 years since I've cleared that hillside so a lot of the trees are 8-10" in diameter.
Lots of work on my side, but I'm not afraid of work.

Ahh makes sense now. Y’all have a lot more obstacles to go through then we do out here. Sometimes we hit caliche shelves and have to jackhammer them out to get pipelines deep enough but it’s a rare occasion.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On our way to South Dakota and Wyoming. Rained on us all the way from OKC up to near I-80 in southern Nebraska. We are currently spending the night in Kearney, NE before going on to the Mount Rushmore area tomorrow.

Seeing good Autumn colors, although most of the day they were muted by rain and overcast skies. The sun finally came out as we crossed I-80 and colors were more vivid, but there really wasn't much of a chance to stop and get good pictures. Maybe tomorrow will be better since we won't be on the interstate very long.

All that said, the camera batteries are charged and they (and I) are raring to go.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom