OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the call at 0930 this morning asking if I could go work in our Snyder, TX area. Finished the project I was already working on, drove home and packed, then made the 4 hour trip down here. Got to one of our compressor stations around 1630, and didn't end up leaving it until 2230. Finally made it to the hotel a few minutes ago, tomorrow's going to hurt! Getting too old for this s**t 🤣
I completely get it!!! I’m working on a clearing job in the middle of nowhere, so I got the bright idea I could camp out in the barn on the property to save money and driving back and forth to town. The barn has electricity and water, so that’s not too bad. The first night of sleeping in my single cab F550 was pretty brutal, and I’m feeling it this morning. I finally got halfway comfortable and was finally sleeping pretty good when Easton woke me up for breakfast. :rolleyes2
Time to get back on the tractor! Y’all have a great day!!!:thumb:

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Hump Day morning folks,
Looking forward to another long day of work.
The wife and I are packing late tonight and flying out to Atlanta, GA tomorrow for a weekend of judging and teaching seminars. Looking forward it.
Have a great day!
Safe travels!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely get it!!! I’m working on a clearing job in the middle of nowhere, so I got the bright idea I could camp out in the barn on the property to save money and driving back and forth to town. The barn has electricity and water, so that’s not too bad. The first night of sleeping in my single cab F550 was pretty brutal, and I’m feeling it this morning. I finally got halfway comfortable and was finally sleeping pretty good when Easton woke me up for breakfast. :rolleyes2
Time to get back on the tractor! Y’all have a great day!!!:thumb:
Yeah, it doesn't seem too long ago that I could run these hours for days and be fine...now if I stand in the wrong position for a few minutes my back starts hurting LOL

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the call at 0930 this morning asking if I could go work in our Snyder, TX area. Finished the project I was already working on, drove home and packed, then made the 4 hour trip down here. Got to one of our compressor stations around 1630, and didn't end up leaving it until 2230. Finally made it to the hotel a few minutes ago, tomorrow's going to hurt! Getting too old for this s**t 🤣
Put some more years on ya and then tell me how you feel. I'm way too old for this s**t.🤣 Just trying to drag it out a couple more years. I feel for you, it only gets worse the older you get.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put some more years on ya and then tell me how you feel. I'm way too old for this s**t.🤣 Just trying to drag it out a couple more years. I feel for you, it only gets worse the older you get.
Yeah, I don't know how you REALLY OLD guys do it 🤣🤣

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Pensacola NAS to visit the new Aviation Museum the other day.
Anyone in this area or coming to it needs to put this on your bucket list. Amazing place still under expansion. It’s free to attend and huge.

IMG_2733.jpeg
IMG_2732.jpeg
IMG_2730.jpeg

Today, went fishing at Ft Morgan beach. Slow day as it was an outgoing tide, but managed a couple whiting.
Best part of the trip was a show put on by some dolphins literally 100’ in front of us. They had chased a school of fish to the bank, then put on a show tail walking, etc. went on for almost 5 minutes. Made the day!

image000001.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
image000003.jpeg
image000004.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you were referring to the Fort Morgan on the east side of Mobile Bay. We toured that fort back in 2021 and it was an awesome experience. We also toured Fort Gaines on the other side of the bay.
Been to both, the other on Dauphin Island.
I'm sure you remember when walking from the parking lot toward the fort, it looks like a huge mound of dirt. Once one goes through the entry, its huge!
First battlements were built by the Spaniards in the way back. (don't remember the date), but later improved on over several wars including WWII. Mobile is an important harbor with some great civil war naval battles being fought there. The phrase "damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead" was coined during a civil war battle. (torpedo's were at that time what we now use as underwater mines) When the Union breached the passage under heavy fire from the shore cannons and Southern Ships.
The entire fort is build of bricks built by hand. 22,000 black slaves were used to make the bricks and lay them during construction.
With the advent of explosive cannon shells, the brick fortifications were obsoleted quickly.
Another interesting aspect of the fort is that it was also built with defenses behind it, if it were overran and breached. There are mortar pits 200 yards behind to protect the retreating troops if that ever happened.
We took the ferry to Fort Gaines on the other side and rode it back after the tour and visiting the Alabama Aquarium.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While on our 2005 Alaskan cruise and land tour, one of the ports of call was in Skagway, AK. We took the Yukon and White Pass Railroad up to the border with Canada and then back down to Skagway. Lots of interesting scenery on that tour, including seeing bars fixed to the wall of the embankment and then going down under the tracks for the train. IF those bars are for stabilizing the railroad tracks and right-of-way, I'm not sure I would want to take that ride again.

The "bars" I spoke of above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom