OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sunset in Oklahoma tonight. Lasted 5 minutes from horizon to horizon.

aa0612ee1e305603dc8ca6cfd4bc4f72.jpg

78a6bb8016522725b024c2cc72c46819.jpg

b3e94671e0560a0fdffdf9ed1c794aa4.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Taken at the Minidoka Japanese Internment Camp north of Twin Falls, ID. While there, I looked long and hard at that fence, and while I had built many a fence to pen in cattle, I'm not sure that I could have taken being penned in by my fellow mankind. Especially for something that I hadn't done.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Found this flower at an RV park near Pahrump, NV. I have another photograph of it with my hand next to it. My had is just slightly larger than this flower.

Nothing planned for today, not even our walk, because we are going to the funeral of our friend and co-worker's daughter and granddaughter that was killed in that car accident last Friday. They were T-boned by a meth-head in a stolen pickup running from the police.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Taken at the Minidoka Japanese Internment Camp north of Twin Falls, ID. While there, I looked long and hard at that fence, and while I had built many a fence to pen in cattle, I'm not sure that I could have taken being penned in by my fellow mankind. Especially for something that I hadn't done.

Understandable. Long long ago, when I was in 2nd Recon at Camp Lejeune, NC, the old barracks we had there isolated out by themselves on Onslow Beach were said to have originally been built as an internment camp for the Japanese during the early part of WW II. I can’t say for sure that it’s true , but they were basically just big open concrete structures with office spaces and indoor showers and toilets that looked like they came much later. Now mind you, this place housed a bunch of Recon Marines back in the late 70’s, it wasn’t big on creature comforts. About all there was to do our there when we weren’t training was guzzle beer, and have Team Fights in our Bear Pit. To get out there, you had to wait on a drawbridge over the intracoastal waterway or when it was down, which it frequently was, we got ferried across the waterway on an old decrepit scow operated by a couple of hapless sailors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understandable. Long long ago, when I was in 2nd Recon at Camp Lejeune, NC, the old barracks we had there isolated out by themselves on Onslow Beach were said to have originally been built as an internment camp for the Japanese during the early part of WW II. I can’t say for sure that it’s true , but they were basically just big open concrete structures with office spaces and indoor showers and toilets that looked like they came much later. Now mind you, this place housed a bunch of Recon Marines back in the late 70’s, it wasn’t big on creature comforts. About all there was to do our there when we weren’t training was guzzle beer, and have Team Fights in our Bear Pit. To get out there, you had to wait on a drawbridge over the intracoastal waterway or when it was down, which it frequently was, we got ferried across the waterway on an old decrepit scow operated by a couple of hapless sailors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most of the Japanese Internment camps were constructed of wood and tar paper. At least some of the recreations and things I've read point to that type of construction. Most all of the internees were removed from the west coast, so I'm not sure about the North Carolina location.

Latest posts

Top Bottom