Out of State License Purchasing Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DT Jeff

Marksman
Reaction score
I have worked in Oklahoma for the past 8 yrs and lived here until 2011 when we moved to Colorado and I continued to commute here. I went to a gun show in OKC just after the magazine limit laws were passed up there and tried to buy a SW M&P 22cal rifle and they would not sell it to me. They said their attorney told them not to bother with hassle of making sure it was compliant.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need a license to buy any gun in Oklahoma, unless it is regulated by the feds(machine guns, SBRs etc)

There aren't nearly as many restrictions in Oklahoma as in the people's republic of California.

You can simply go into a gun shop, sign the transfer paperwork and walk out with it. no licensing required, as long as you aren't otherwise prohibited(felony, etc.) No wait times, no magazine restrictions, no assault weapons laws etc.

You can sell the gun at anytime, without a license or FFL. They won't even ask for your 'license'. you don't need a license in Oklahoma to buy a gun.
Just list it on Armslist.com
you'll sell it pretty quickly no doubt.

If you want to take your gun out of state, the only thing stopping you from doing that are California's own draconian laws. You'd have to call the California department of justice to find out the specifics. From what i can tell, it depends on what gun you want to import into California. 'assault weapons' are a no-no.

If your pistol is on the Government Approved List of handguns, you can import it from what i can tell. All guns must be registered with the State within 60 days of importation.

http://www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/6-importing-firearms-into-california.html

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/i...h_firearms#Bring_your_guns_when_you_move_here

You can buy magazines as large as you want here in Oklahoma, but anything holding more than 10 rounds won't be able to go back to California with you.

if you're talking about a carrying license, all licenses to carry are recognized in Oklahoma, as long as you carry per Oklahoma Self-defense act law.
You should refrain from giving legal advice since you have no clue.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_A0E91F4D_E37A_48A9_A5E5_728FE6D07034_zpsg1ok1nxa.jpg
LOL

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should refrain from giving legal advice since you have no clue.

I make no pretense to special legal knowledge. If you are a lawyer, feel free to correct me. But he takes any advice given here with due caution at his own risk.

But I am quite familiar with the legal requirements as they relate to me. Not being an FFL and having never bought a weapon out of state, I was simply not aware of that federal law.

I would caution you against criticism against me when I am merely trying to be helpful. It is much better to correct a misunderstanding than attempt to criticize someone for attempting to assist someone in good faith.

It's not that unreasonable for someone not to be aware of that particular federal law. I just assumed that the same laws that applies to local would apply to out of state equally. A fair assumption, I think.

Having personally dealt with firearm laws myself, it is not fair to say "I have no clue", rather I was not aware of that specific regulation that does not apply to me personally.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's sad. I hate trying to own guns in my state and it's only getting worse. I tried to buy a gun from AZ but it turns out it was banned by name (XDm .45 banned by name because Springfield decided not to make a CA version of their new firearms). I'm moving out once i graduate.

Would private party transfers be affected? Aka, could I buy from a friend/coworker/gun show, etc.? If I did that, would there be any way to ship whatever I bought to CA for a legal transfer?
you cannot legally buy a hand gun in Oklahoma if you are not a resident of Oklahoma without having it shipped to an FFL in your home state, dealer or private sale.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a college student from CA living/working in Tulsa for the summer. I've been going to an indoor range 1-3x a week after work and on weekends. I wasn't sure of the laws out here or where I'd be staying, so I left my firearms at home. I've been renting pistols each time, and the rental fees and range ammo prices are starting to add up. I realized it might make sense to buy something so I don't have to keep paying to rent. I figured that anything I buy here may not be allowed to come back with me at the end of the summer (due to strict gun laws and stricter importing laws in California). I want to know if there is a legal way for me to buy a pistol for a few months (with a CA license) and possibly be able to sell it before I leave. Would any shop sell to me even with my out-of-state license? Would I run into trouble selling if I did buy a gun, say at a gun show? Also, would a FFL be able to ship a gun to CA if I wanted to keep it?
Nice try, ATF!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the purposes of purchasing a handgun in OK, an OK resident may purchase a handgun from another OK resident if the purchaser is age 18 or older (private sale). If one is not an OK resident then no such sale may occur of a handgun. The usual federal and state requirements for owning a firearm also apply to this potential transaction.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
For the purposes of purchasing a handgun in OK, an OK resident may purchase a handgun from another OK resident if the purchaser is age 18 or older (private sale). If one is not an OK resident then no such sale may occur of a handgun. The usual federal and state requirements for owning a firearm also apply to this potential transaction.
not true, it has to be shipped to an FFL in his home state.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's sad. I hate trying to own guns in my state and it's only getting worse. I tried to buy a gun from AZ but it turns out it was banned by name (XDm .45 banned by name because Springfield decided not to make a CA version of their new firearms). I'm moving out once i graduate.

Would private party transfers be affected? Aka, could I buy from a friend/coworker/gun show, etc.? If I did that, would there be any way to ship whatever I bought to CA for a legal transfer?
I truly feel for ya. I'm from California and soooooooooo glad I joined the Army and got out of that state. My brother is still there and fixin to move out as well. The only hope for California is if a nuke detonates over LA and SF.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I truly feel for ya. I'm from California and soooooooooo glad I joined the Army and got out of that state. My brother is still there and fixin to move out as well. The only hope for California is if a nuke detonates over LA and SF.
Oklahoma has the same problem with OKC and Tulsa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom