Parents arrested for improper storage of guns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A family memember of mine was looking at adopting here on OKC. She told me that they were told they could not own firearms at all. Maybe there was more but that is what I remember

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Odd we all had access to parents guns and our guns at any time ..heck there were gun racks hanging on the wall holding the guns..sometimes made from deer legs.
Remember wood shop.. every one made a gun rack.
Used to be very fine looking gun cabinets with glass doors.

Show me the law.
We have had many foster children and were on the list to be emergency foster parents. That was 10+ years ago.
Guns never came up.
I was more worried about all the knives in the silverware drawer.
Probably 50 different kinds of knives and all very sharp.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the right thing was done. I'm no happy that it has come to this, but we have proved that as a society we are not always responsible with the rights and privileges we enjoy. For these parents to not be aware of the potential problem with their son would tend to indicate that they were not too far removed from the problem themselves. I'm not sure it required being jailed, but I think all the toys needed to be removed until things were sorted out. I Know, not 2A compliant, but there are some folks that just should not have firearms, or sharp scissors.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can't get the site to come up.
No worries, here ya go....

ST. PAUL, MN (WCCO/CNN) – A 13-year-old boy and his parents were arrested after Minneapolis police seized guns, ammunition and explosive devices from their Desoto street house.

Ramsey County Sheriff Jack Serier said the boy threatened a classmate at the Academy For Sciences and Agriculture in Vadnais Heights.

Chris and Lisa Stowe are being held in the Ramsey County jail where they could face charges of negligent storage of firearms.

Their son is also in custody and police are not releasing the information about the threat he made to his classmate.

"The student that was threatened subsequently told their parent about the threats to them and the Ramsey County Sheriff’s office was contacted by the parent and began an investigation into this threat," said Serier.

Armed with an investigative search warrant, deputies entered the teenager's home and found him home alone.

But they found more.

"In the home, a cache of weapons was found along with at least one ballistic vest, thousands of rounds of ammunition and at least one explosive device," Serier said.

Some of the weapons were not secure and the teen had access to them.

Deputies arrested his parents.

The teenager's school sent a note home to families which said the incident involved a group of seventh and eighth graders.

Serier said there's no longer a threat to the school or the public.

"It seems sad I guess in the wake of events, especially with a lot of the recent shootings,” said neighbor Julie Berrisford. “I can't say that I’m surprised one way or another. It’s just unfortunate to hear about."

Serier encouraged everyone to take any threats seriously.

He also hopes the arrest of the boy's parents sends a strong message to gun owners with children.

"It is the responsibility under law for all adults who have guns in their homes to keep them secure and away from minors to not do so invites tragedy," he said.

Chris and Lisa Stowe are being held in the Ramsey County jail where they could face charges of negligent storage of firearms.

Their son is also in custody and police are not releasing the information about the threat he made to his classmate.

Copyright 2018 WCCO via CNN. All rights reserved.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are not foster parent so to speak but we have taken several kids in and have 1 15 mo now and have been inspected several times by DHS and always let them know guns are present and they have never had a problem with them being in the house but i also show them how i keep them stored with a locked door to the room when im not in the room.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am concerned as to the way these ‘Reported Threats’ are being handled by Law Enforcement. I have no issues if threats are truly made, but hearsay rules should prevent baseless accusations from resulting in a SWAT Showdown and potential casualties because some kid wants to use the system to get even or because he doesn’t like someone. There is a recent incident where such a scenario resulted fatally for a man because he supposedly moved his hands wrong when confronted by a Police engaging from behind their vehicular barricades on the street from the front of his residence. The Victim had High Intensity Lights in his eyes, no prior warning of the impending attack, loud amplified commands being issued from the street, and I state with absolute certainty that he was unaware of the great danger he faced as a bullet hit him in the head. This was an unsubstantiated, single person report that sent the Police to his location. Some LEOs and Pro-LEO Groupies supported the Police Action based on the nature of the report (suspect had shot and killed some family members and a supposedly wounded person was in the residence begging for help); but this tragedy occurred because the Responding Officers developed Tunnel Vision and acted according to training and protocol that was not valid for the true nature of the incident.

Now, I believe it was Dave informed me the SOTUS had ruled Police are not so restricted to Hearsay Rules with respect to pursuing Investigations. However, in the case here under discussion, a Warrant was Issued. and I contend that concrete Evidence should be necessary for a Warrant based on more than one corroborating statement and should include some kind of Evidence, not just a statement from one Juvenile or One Complainant.

If in fact it only takes the potential spurious word of just one person to bring down the heat, none of us are safe and secure from Armed Assault by the Authorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom