Pay your student loans or get raided!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After the Department of Education raided the home of a Stockton man Tuesday morning, officials said the search was part of an ongoing investigation into financial aid fraud.

An official with the U.S. Department of Education returned phone calls to News 10 Wednesday morning, saying the search warrant is part of a criminal investigation and not because of unpaid student financial aid loans.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141207/29/DOE-raids-Stockton-home-as-part-of-fraud-investigation

There are criminals running schemes to defraud the student aid program using some of the same methods that are used to defraud medicare to the tune of billions of dollars a year.

You guys sure you aren't rooting for the wrong team?

If this was due to fraud, then I hope they catch her... but even if she had lived there, sending in a SWAT team to collect evidence of loan fraud is way beyond the scope of what I want my gubment doing. If the student aid program is that rife with abuse, then perhaps they need to implement some better measures to prevent it in the first place as well.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this was due to fraud, then I hope they catch her... but even if she had lived there, sending in a SWAT team to collect evidence of loan fraud is way beyond the scope of what I want my gubment doing. If the student aid program is that rife with abuse, then perhaps they need to implement some better measures to prevent it in the first place as well.
I agree with you completely but the title of the thread is misleading in the extreme: Pay your student loans or get raided!

It's a criminal investigation, not a debt collection.

There probably aren't any good guys in this story.
The guys wife, and possibly him too, are likely involved in defrauding the federal government and the federal agency enforced a search warrant with unnecessary tactics.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you completely but the title of the thread is misleading in the extreme: Pay your student loans or get raided!

...only because the initial story reported it as a debt collection and I stated in the OP that there hopefully was more to the story. And now there is.

Still doesn't change the subject of why the Department of Education needs to have LEOs that conduct raids. If they have some evidence of criminal activity, why not turn it over to the DOJ? Does every federal agency have to employ active door kickers?

(I do have to add that when the story broke about them buying shotguns, I was on their side. At least from the standpoint that if you are going to employ LEOs, then they should be properly equipped and trained. That is entirely seperate from the discussion of whether or not you need those LEOs in the first place)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there 70 Investigator Generals in the federal government. So not EVERY federal agency needs LEOs, just most of them!

More like we need somebody to throw under the bus if we F it up ...

I'll buy that :)

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There probably aren't any good guys in this story.
The guys wife, and possibly him too, are likely involved in defrauding the federal government and the federal agency enforced a search warrant with unnecessary tactics.

Ya I think when the story broke originally, they didn't know anything more than the interview with the guy. Typicall negligent reporting by the media.

In any case though, I'm just still in disbelief that the DOE has this power on their own and would exercise it in this way.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Increasingly in our country, some are more equal than others. When any person's rights are violated by excessive and inappropriate use of force by the government, the rights of all citizens are put at risk. SWAT being used inappropriately is just a part of the worsening atmosphere of abusive practices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom