Pheasant hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning, and one great point from gunner, but the other dogs in the group ran over the point, as the wind was wrong for them. They did back as soon as they caught the scent. The hen pheasant flushed, so it was a no shoot. We walked about 3 miles and saw one game bird. Snow drifts are not the way to hunt these birds. Tough walking, but we got in lots of good exercise, and the dogs got to get out of the pen.
I absolutly love watching bird dogs anticipate, smell, trail and point these birds. this is what bird hunting is all about. ;D
problem with this land(mine and my neighbors) is that we got an 18" rain this spring in one day and the nesting season was wiped out. Polecat creek was 4 miles wide at one time.Its really flat out there.) It will take a few years but they will come back.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you and the neighbors talked about buying some chicks in the spring and planting them on your land . The game dept mit help out with now many to get or pm Pheasants Forever for help or ideas on what to do with you all places.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning, and one great point from gunner, but the other dogs in the group ran over the point, as the wind was wrong for them. They did back as soon as they caught the scent. The hen pheasant flushed, so it was a no shoot. We walked about 3 miles and saw one game bird. Snow drifts are not the way to hunt these birds. Tough walking, but we got in lots of good exercise, and the dogs got to get out of the pen.
I absolutly love watching bird dogs anticipate, smell, trail and point these birds. this is what bird hunting is all about. ;D
problem with this land(mine and my neighbors) is that we got an 18" rain this spring in one day and the nesting season was wiped out. Polecat creek was 4 miles wide at one time.Its really flat out there.) It will take a few years but they will come back.

The alpha-toxin probably didn't help matters. How did that turn out? I heard early speculation was not good for our avian friends.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The alpha-toxin probably didn't help matters. How did that turn out? I heard early speculation was not good for our avian friends.

I'm not a corn grower, but found out this summer that aflatoxin was so bad around NC Okla that the elevators were turning down semi after semi loads of corn and telling the growers to dig a pit and bury it, or pile it up with diesel and burn it. It may effect our deer population as well down the road I'm told?

I'm betting the bad floods this spring had more to do with the pheasant population as it was during nesting season, but it was not helped along by the aflatoxin.

I have never heard of it before, but understand all corn has it in certain amounts, but it shows up for whatever reason in higher amounts in different areas.

I thought it would all go to the ethenol producers, but found out that the cooking process does not destroy the negative effects of this poison so it can't go to ethenol as the byproduct of the ethenol producers is normally sold for livestock feed.

I need to study up on this a lot more.

Any info you may have from the ODW biologist would be appreciated.

We went again today, covering several quarter sections, and saw nothing. 5 GOOD bird dogs, and 3 hunters.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom