Photo Printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's time to upgrade my photo printer, I currently have a P1000 HP, I want to upgrade to something that prints edgeless photos. I am not interested in anything bigger than 8 1/2 by 11, so I don't want to pay extra for the bigger printers, I'm not interested in printing from roll paper or banners. I would like something that prints a good quality 8 1/2" by 11".
I heard somewhere 2400 dpi was equivalent to 6 megapixel, I have a Canon T1I 15 megapixel camera, I would like a printer that does it justice. I also scan old photos with an Epson V500 Photo scanner. I want something that would do justice to both/either one. Individual tanks for each ink color might be nice too. A dedicated printer would be good if it's the least expensive option, I don't really need one of the all in one type. Speed isn't a priority. I could care less what brand. USB will be fine, I can live without wireless and or networking.

Last edited:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as crazy as it sounds... 240 DPI is the beginnings of the threshold of the human eye. 300 DPI is the industry standard to consider print quality. A lot of the numbers flung out by printer Mfg's are a joke. For consumer printers I think Epson has the best ink which is key. Get one of the new Epson multifunction printers and youll be impressed especially for the price. We use a 845 at the house which we really like. The scanner feeder and printer both duplex ( automatically scans and prints two sided) and has two paper trays One of which we keep 20# 8.5x11 and the other has 4x6 photo paper. That way we dont have to run in there and trade out paper before we hit print. The next step toward photo greatness is a dye sub printer but they start over 1K for a professional one and I wouldn't buy the consumer versions

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 4x6 prints the absolute best you can get at home is actually one of the cheapest - Canon Selphy. Its a dye-sub and has amazing prints, and costs less than $200. If you are going to be doing bigger and arent a professional, then the epsons are definitely my choice as well.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a HP photosmart Premium machine. It prints 4x6 edgeless prints just like what you get from a lab. I bought it directly from HP. Works with wireless or USB. Great scanner too. The only drawback is the maximum size paper is 8 x 10. Can't do legal. I use it a lot when it comes to scanning documents.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll concur with Epson having good ink. For some reason, I'm thinking that it is (or was) called a "pigment" ink. I had long used HP's but when I saw the results from an Epson of one of my own photos, I switched to Epson. Definitely give them a look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom