Flattop grillin'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife got me a flattop grill for xmas. I am in love with this thing. Tonight I cooked some pork chops. Best chops I have ever had. ever.

Flattop on high, a little olive oil on the surface.
seasoned the chops with lemon pepper and sea salt.
1/4" pat of real butter for each side, melted on the flattop, then the chops down on top.
browned up real nice, dropped the next slices of butter down and flipped the chops.
Browned that side up to 165-180 degrees internal. These are bone-in chops, so they don't cook all the way through at the bone at 160 in the center.

pull 'em off, chow down. I mean it was melt in your mouth chops. Like a perfect ribeye, but pork.

I have not cooked steak on the flattop, I love my charcoal grill for steaks, but I have some ribbies and sirloins for tomorrow, I am seriously thinking about trying it. Going to have to marinate them if I do for the wood flavor.

If you have a spot for one, I highly recommend adding a flattop to your outdoor kitchen.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife got me a flattop grill for xmas. I am in love with this thing. Tonight I cooked some pork chops. Best chops I have ever had. ever.

Flattop on high, a little olive oil on the surface.
seasoned the chops with lemon pepper and sea salt.
1/4" pat of real butter for each side, melted on the flattop, then the chops down on top.
browned up real nice, dropped the next slices of butter down and flipped the chops.
Browned that side up to 165-180 degrees internal. These are bone-in chops, so they don't cook all the way through at the bone at 160 in the center.

pull 'em off, chow down. I mean it was melt in your mouth chops. Like a perfect ribeye, but pork.

I have not cooked steak on the flattop, I love my charcoal grill for steaks, but I have some ribbies and sirloins for tomorrow, I am seriously thinking about trying it. Going to have to marinate them if I do for the wood flavor.

If you have a spot for one, I highly recommend adding a flattop to your outdoor kitchen.

We need a pic of the unit!

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
grillin.jpggrillin.jpg

Not a good pic, I have more but I can't find them. This is my hibachi dinner the first night I cooked on it.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like doing Chicken Fired Steak on my flattop. Just dip a good tenderized steak in egg wash and then dredge in seasoned flour. Then I put about a tsp of peanut oil and a pat a butter on the flattop and put the steak in the middle.Then do the same thing when you turn it. Cook until golden brown and enjoy! I think they turn out great cooked on a flattop rather than a deep fryer.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't want to go all out on a dedicated flat top, you can pick up this nifty little gadget called the Little Griddle. They're about $50 on Amazon. It's a stainless flattop grill that's 18"x13" and just sets on your charcoal or gas grill. You need to crank your grill on high to get a really good sear, but it works well. The only trouble can be flipping and not hitting a hot enough spot. For $50, it's a great little tool. I do steaks, chops, burgers and anything else on it. I used to use cast iron inside, but will do less of that now that I have this outside. It saves on the smoke in the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom