Places that are off limits for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tun1775

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Questions:
1. If I carry into a posted no carry retail store, what are the implications? Some stores post on one door but not the other.
2. State campground ok but federal or corps not?
3. Any good travel tools out there for interpreting reciprocal rules. Long road trips suck to prepare for... get IL line and have to remember to unpack.
4. How in the bell do you know what a location % of alcoholic sales are?

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Questions:
1. If I carry into a posted no carry retail store, what are the implications? Some stores post on one door but not the other.

In Oklahoma, they can ask you to leave...that's it. If you don't, you can receive a trespassing charge.

2. State campground ok but federal or corps not? Last I heard, all federal parks are now allowed. But you still have to follow each state's law regarding concealed/open. Still can't carry into any federal building.

3. Any good travel tools out there for interpreting reciprocal rules. Long road trips suck to prepare for... get IL line and have to remember to unpack.

www.handgunlaw.us

4. How in the bell do you know what a location % of alcoholic sales are? Good rule of thumb, can't walk into a bar carrying, or the bar area of a restaurant.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4. How in the bell do you know what a location % of alcoholic sales are? Good rule of thumb, can't walk into a bar carrying, or the bar area of a restaurant.

Bars are licensed as an establishment.

Basically, if the establishment serving food and alcohol has a "21 to enter" sign on the front door, then it's a bar. If not, then most likely it's a restaurant.

So you can still use the express lane during the dinner hours on non-sports nights at the family-oriented restaurants.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? You mean a homeowner who is legally able to own a firearm can't keep it loaded for defense? Me thinks that doesn't sound right.

I should have specified better...

It's not even legal to carry a loaded firearm open or concealed outside your home without a permit on your own private property in Oklahoma.

It dates by to Pierce v. State in 1929.

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have specified better...

It's not even legal to carry a loaded firearm open or concealed outside your home without a permit on your own private property in Oklahoma.

It dates by to Pierce v. State in 1929.

"Open or concealed carry of a firearm on privately owned land or inside a residence (such as a backyard, in your own home, or a large farm) is legal for persons 18 years and older who can legally possess firearms, and no permit is required. However, if a disturbance is caused, such carry could be construed as Disturbing the peace by law enforcement. Additionally, brandishing a firearm without good, legal cause (such as self defense, defense of another, or lawful defense of property) is illegal."

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Open or concealed carry of a firearm on privately owned land or inside a residence (such as a backyard, in your own home, or a large farm) is legal for persons 18 years and older who can legally possess firearms, and no permit is required. However, if a disturbance is caused, such carry could be construed as Disturbing the peace by law enforcement. Additionally, brandishing a firearm without good, legal cause (such as self defense, defense of another, or lawful defense of property) is illegal."

Where do you get that from? I don't find that (or anything similar) in the laws or the cases which interpret the laws.

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you get that from? I don't find that (or anything similar) in the laws or the cases which interpret the laws.

That came from Wikipedia; however, if you think about it, it is accurate. Carrying of weapons on private property is ALWAYS at the discretion of the property owner, correct? The SDA specifically states a private property owner has full control over the right to carry on their property. (Concealed, or otherwise). If that weren't the case, then if you had a weapon in your home that was hidden in a drawer, you would have to have a CCL to keep it hidden, right? We know that's not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Oklahoma

TITLE 21 § 1290.2

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma
Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any
manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the
possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity."

Latest posts

Top Bottom