Plantar Fasciitis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had it and it was miserable!!

Got so bad, was on vacation in Mexico and couldn't walk from beach to room without tears in my eyes at times.

Finally went to foot doc and said "please give me a shot." And if you know me, you'll know how bad I had to be.

Got the injection.
During the injection, in between my moans and groans, the doc looks up at me and says,
"You know, Dave, I'm almost sorry to say, but I'm taking a perverse amount of pleasure in doing this to a dentist."

Shot worked, but not 100%.

Got a regular sized can of soup and put it on my computer desk.
Whenever I sat at the computer or my desk to work, I put the arch of my foot on the can and rolled it back and forth on the floor.

Better now.

Dave

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Inserts don't really cure the problem but just support the arch and plantar "tendon" and mask the issue and pain.

The inflammation is caused by the tendon being overworked. That can come from a lot of reasons. Being overweight, repetitive overuse like running, or overuse due to being relatively inactive and sedentary so moderate use aggravates it.

I improved mine and my arches through 1) significant weight loss, and 2) running which strengthened my foot to the point that it rarely to never gets inflamed anymore. Going though a similar thing now with my IT band and hip and knee ligaments (they're my weakest link now and quickest to start screaming when I overdo it).

For our OP Ted, I think barring any body mass issues it comes to rest, stretching and rolling, and easing back into some activities that strengthen it. NSAIDs to help with pain. Given that he's run before, I'd guess it was aggravated by activity and not any of the other issues.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking it started when I switched running boots. Crappy arch supports. I bought some high-dollar supports, but it was too late. Weight isn't a problem, and I've been trail running for years.

FWIW - I started NSAIDS again day before yesterday, as well as some different calf-stretching exercises. Seems a lot better. I plan to run at TM this afternoon, we'll se how it feels after that.

I appreciate all the comments - I'm trying (and have tried) a bunch of different stuff, it seems my current path is working to some degree.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife, a now retired RN, had severe plantar fasciitis during the 80's. She tried every treatment known to man for a period of about 5 years without any long-term relief. She finally underwent a surgical procedure where the doctor made partial cuts in the plantar fascia ligament. This relieves the tightness in the tendon that causes the pain. After a month or so of recuperation she started back to work. I haven't heard one whimper from her in the 30 years since the surgery. The surgery is a last resort and most of the literature states that 95% or more of plantar fasciitis suffers are satisfied with non-surgical treatment. Good luck with your treatment. I know the pain wears on you. If you're so inclined, you can find several videos of the surgery on youtube. Looks like endoscopic surgery is the norm now.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a large thick glass wine bottle 5-6" dia. put on floor and roll your foot back and forth on it. you should feel some snap,crackle,pops as your bones loosen up and move.
I keep one next to my chair and whenever my foot hurts I use it. That plus shoe inserts.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking it started when I switched running boots. Crappy arch supports. I bought some high-dollar supports, but it was too late. Weight isn't a problem, and I've been trail running for years.

FWIW - I started NSAIDS again day before yesterday, as well as some different calf-stretching exercises. Seems a lot better. I plan to run at TM this afternoon, we'll se how it feels after that.

I appreciate all the comments - I'm trying (and have tried) a bunch of different stuff, it seems my current path is working to some degree.

Save static stretching for post-workout and recovery. Dynamic stretching and warm-ups prior to activity are safer and will train your body to prevent injury. Mark Kovacs book on dynamic stretching is worth picking up a copy, http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Stretching-Revolutionary-Warm-up-Performance/dp/1569757267.

Standing towel scrunches an excellent strengthening exercise for people with PF; even better if you can perform them while baring weight on the foot.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it and it felt like walking on nails. Saw a podiatrist and got some rigid orthodics to go in my boots; the flexible ones never worked. I've been pain free for about 15 years now, as long as I use the inserts.

Same thing for me. Additional exercize of picking up a pencil with your toes.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine got to the point of not being able to walk. I got mine in Iraq, put on about 40lbs of stuff and walk a few miles a day, I did some serious damage. When I got home, I got the big walking boots, and splints to hold the foot over 90 degree angle, while I was sleeping. I then got put in casts on both feet to let them heal, that worked for few weeks and the same problem. The Doctor finally did surgery, partial cut to the ligament. He also cut the nerve. Either Way, I still have some pain, but I can do everything I want to do.

My wife, a now retired RN, had severe plantar fasciitis during the 80's. She tried every treatment known to man for a period of about 5 years without any long-term relief. She finally underwent a surgical procedure where the doctor made partial cuts in the plantar fascia ligament. This relieves the tightness in the tendon that causes the pain. After a month or so of recuperation she started back to work. I haven't heard one whimper from her in the 30 years since the surgery. The surgery is a last resort and most of the literature states that 95% or more of plantar fasciitis suffers are satisfied with non-surgical treatment. Good luck with your treatment. I know the pain wears on you. If you're so inclined, you can find several videos of the surgery on youtube. Looks like endoscopic surgery is the norm now.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got heel spurs in both feet that caused mine, but luckily only one foot acted up at a time. Finally had to go to a Podiatrist. I have to wear the hard insoles that were laser fit to my feet. All the time. For a while, I had the boot to sleep with. Cost way too much, but I guess ultimately worth it, as I can walk as much as I want now.

Also, I have to remember to do my calf and hamstring stretches. If I forget, I'll start to feel the soles tighten up.

Even with all that, recovery takes a good six months to a year per foot. I basically had pain for two years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom