Plantar Fasciitis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the $50 Dr. Schols inserts that they sell at WalMart in the pharmacy section. Use the foot analyzer thing and figure out which ones you need. I buy a new set for every new pair of shoes I get. If I dont use them then I can barely walk.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I did 6 miles on rocks and hills yesterday before pushing a mower around. I can feel it, for sure, but I'm still upright. Not gonna quit.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a foam roller or lacrosse ball? Lots of videos on Youtube demonstrating self-myofascial release for the calf muscles.

Yep. The ball has helped a lot, when I went to a specific calf stretch, it helped more.

My theory is this:
There are a gazillion methods for treating PF, and different runners get different results, after trial and error.

I believe the PF pain can be due to cracking anywhere along the bottom of the foot, and stretches/treatments target a specific area, you just keep trying until you hit the right one.

I'm taking NSAIDS a couple times a day, stretching many times, and the pain is MUCH better. I plan on running again tomorrow....

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. The ball has helped a lot, when I went to a specific calf stretch, it helped more.

My theory is this:
There are a gazillion methods for treating PF, and different runners get different results, after trial and error.

I believe the PF pain can be due to cracking anywhere along the bottom of the foot, and stretches/treatments target a specific area, you just keep trying until you hit the right one.

I'm taking NSAIDS a couple times a day, stretching many times, and the pain is MUCH better. I plan on running again tomorrow....

You've probably figured this out, most people don't realize that there are different stretches for the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. It's actually possible to over stretch while doing static stretching; you don't want to statically stretch the muscle beyond where you initially begin to feel the stretch, more is not better. My thinking is that its better to increase flexiblity and strengthen the soft tissue, rather than rely on insoles or orthotics to create support because of weak calf and foot muscles.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've probably figured this out, most people don't realize that there are different stretches for the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. It's actually possible to over stretch while doing static stretching; you don't want to statically stretch the muscle beyond where you initially begin to feel the stretch, more is not better. My thinking is that its better to increase flexiblity and strengthen the soft tissue, rather than rely on insoles or orthotics to create support because of weak calf and foot muscles.

We're on the same page. I find it hard to believe I have weak calf muscles, though. I think this started from too much hill running with poor arch supports. (I have VERY high arch on my right foot)

Latest posts

Top Bottom