Plastic Only, No Cash??? WTF???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even worse, the powers that be can deny a transaction.

Think about that.

"They" can tell you what you are permitted to purchase. Anything you can think of that the elite would be uncomfortable with you purchasing?

You are not wearing a tinfoil hat. You are predicting the future.
Yup. It's just forward thinking analysis.:werd:

Woody

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really sure if I was as clear as I meant to be.

This "No Cash" is a new thing I'm seeing in stores due to the Covid problem.

Was in Dillard's the other day (which is closing here) and the sales were "Plastic Only, Credit or Debit Cards. No Cash. No Checks"
Heard of a loan company that was requiring Credit Card, Debit Card or Money Order for payment but was not accepting cash.

This isn't about giving a "cash discount" that has been going on for years.

This is about not accepting Cash.
Period.
For Payment of a Debt or Purchase.
"For all Debts, Public and Private"

Really not sure how that can be done legally.
But then, there have been a lot of things lately that I'm not sure about.

Many rules have changed...when we came up the green back satisfied all debts. Refusing it today who knows.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really sure if I was as clear as I meant to be.

This "No Cash" is a new thing I'm seeing in stores due to the Covid problem.

Was in Dillard's the other day (which is closing here) and the sales were "Plastic Only, Credit or Debit Cards. No Cash. No Checks"
Heard of a loan company that was requiring Credit Card, Debit Card or Money Order for payment but was not accepting cash.

This isn't about giving a "cash discount" that has been going on for years.

This is about not accepting Cash.
Period.
For Payment of a Debt or Purchase.
"For all Debts, Public and Private"

Really not sure how that can be done legally.
But then, there have been a lot of things lately that I'm not sure about.

why are they required to take cash? Lots of places don't and that isn't new. Ever seen 'do not send cash' for a payment by mail? Or 'no bills larger than $20'?

I don't see why a place would be legally obligated to deal in cash.

the 'for all debts' indicates that the money is valid and backed up by 'something' of value from our government (gold standard, etc). Not 'you must accept this specific bank note, even if you don't want to'.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is cash? I prefer plastic. I went to a restaurant the other day and they said they only take cash which I didn't have any (never do). They had an ATM that was out of service. So we had to leave. Drove out to Tim buk tu for nothing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I worked with a guy that decided to buy a new Corvette. He went to the local Chevy dealer, found the vette he wanted, negotiated the price, and when it came time to pay, he gave them his American Express card. After calling in the General Manager, it was determined that he did have sufficient credit line to make the purchase. As the finance guy starts to proceed, my friend says, "tell you what, deduct 3.5% from that price and I'll just pay you cash right now." Again, the General Manager has to join the conversation, and after my friend explains how the fee works, and the delay in getting the remittance from the CC company, they agreed to his deal.
Here's another twist.

My SIL's mother is pretty loaded and she decided she had to have a new Range Rover. So she goes to the dealer and picks one out to buy. They weren't willing to sell it to her unless she financed it. She actually had to threaten to drive to Dallas to buy it because they didn't want to take her cash or check. They finally relented when she threatened Dallas on them. They came up with some BS that she could sign a affidavit or something that she was not to sell it for a year since it was such a high demand vehicle. She signed it because selling it was not her intent and she doubted that it had any real legal effect anyway.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anybody catch the news article from a few months ago that customs in somewhere like Detroit caught Pallets of counterfeit One Dollar bills were being smuggled in by the Chinese.
No wonder places don't want cash when even ones are not safe

Last week, U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized 45 cartons of counterfeit U.S. currency with a face value of $900,000 — in fake one-dollar bills — at the U.S.-Canada border at the International Falls Port of Entry. If you’re wondering what a shipment of nearly a million bucks in fake ones looks like, well, it looks like a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked up on pallets that stand well-above waist level. That is a lot of singles.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another twist.

My SIL's mother is pretty loaded and she decided she had to have a new Range Rover. So she goes to the dealer and picks one out to buy. They weren't willing to sell it to her unless she financed it. She actually had to threaten to drive to Dallas to buy it because they didn't want to take her cash or check. They finally relented when she threatened Dallas on them. They came up with some BS that she could sign a affidavit or something that she was not to sell it for a year since it was such a high demand vehicle. She signed it because selling it was not her intent and she doubted that it had any real legal effect anyway.

Similar deal with my mom, she found the car she wanted and then proceeded to buy it and the dealer wouldn't honor the price they quoted her when they found out she was paying cash, they wanted a higher price. We left and went to another dealer and got the same treatment. The best pricing was only if she financed it, so she did and then paid it off. Stupid dealer games and fees :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom