Police chase today on Channel 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
OCPD did not have a policy allowing pit maneuvers until the past year. As such, the cars did not have wrap around TVI (tactical vehicle Intervention) bumpers. Prior to this, they had "push bars". New builds have the TVI bumpers, LEDT instructors got cars with them first, followed by officers who had the TVI training. or would be getting trained. However, due to constraints caused by supply chain issues, there aren't a lot out there. Only the 2021 MY and 22 MY PIU's have them. There were 134 21's built and only 8 22's so far, so for math, we'll say roughly 140 cars have them. 4 divisions plus Bricktown (Uniform Support) so we'll say 5, leaves 28 cars per division with bumpers, or 14 per set (2 sets of 8 days on 6 off overlapping), across 3 shifts, leaving less than 5 vehicles equipped with TVI bumpers per division per set, assuming an officer didn't take off and they are trained in the maneuver. The availability to perform a TVI maneuver is low, coupled with the fact that the conditions have to be present or right to perform. An officer could also be on the other side of the division and each division covers roughly 180-200 sq miles. The city itself covers over 660sq miles and surrounds multiple other municipalities. Just an FYI, I am not officer, I work in Public Safety Communication Support (civilian, city employee) and supervise the guys who build the cars, and work with PD and their fleet supervisor on building the cars, how they are built, maintaining the technology in them, implementing and testing new tech etc. Our radio shop and radio system is one of the largest in the country.
That explains a lot , thank you for sharing that....

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
OCPD did not have a policy allowing pit maneuvers until the past year. As such, the cars did not have wrap around TVI (tactical vehicle Intervention) bumpers. Prior to this, they had "push bars". New builds have the TVI bumpers, LEDT instructors got cars with them first, followed by officers who had the TVI training. or would be getting trained. However, due to constraints caused by supply chain issues, there aren't a lot out there. Only the 2021 MY and 22 MY PIU's have them. There were 134 21's built and only 8 22's so far, so for math, we'll say roughly 140 cars have them. 4 divisions plus Bricktown (Uniform Support) so we'll say 5, leaves 28 cars per division with bumpers, or 14 per set (2 sets of 8 days on 6 off overlapping), across 3 shifts, leaving less than 5 vehicles equipped with TVI bumpers per division per set, assuming an officer didn't take off and they are trained in the maneuver. The availability to perform a TVI maneuver is low, coupled with the fact that the conditions have to be present or right to perform. An officer could also be on the other side of the division and each division covers roughly 180-200 sq miles. The city itself covers over 660sq miles and surrounds multiple other municipalities. Just an FYI, I am not officer, I work in Public Safety Communication Support (civilian, city employee) and supervise the guys who build the cars, and work with PD and their fleet supervisor on building the cars, how they are built, maintaining the technology in them, implementing and testing new tech etc. Our radio shop and radio system is one of the largest in the country.
Has OCPD looked into these?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has OCPD looked into these?

Not yet. You have to realize budget constraints with a department this size. Realistically, they look for cost savings. In the past two years, we've had to move to SUV's completely, where a]s we could purchase sedans before. Thats not an option anymore. The SUV's have gone up $8k this year alone, plus the additional cost of the equipment, such as second partition to separate the cargo area from the prisoner area, window guards all around, the additional cost of the TVI bumper vs previous push bar, any increased cost on the equipment already put in, the dashcams that are now installed, we also started a rifle program a few years ago, so the cost of the rifle racks, etc. Some of these costs may seem miniscule, like a few hundred dollars, but when you are dealing with roughly 150 cars a year, it all adds up. Looking at these, they come at a cost of $5k 3 years ago. From their site, they only have 400+ in service nationwide. OCPD has over 800 marked patrol vehicles, so from a cost standpoint, let alone viability standpoint, its not an easy decision. This would cost the dept roughly $750,000 a year to add to our new builds, and I dont think they would work on Explorers as they are a unibody fwd design, so the dept would have to switch to a Tahoe or half ton truck at an increased cost, increased fuel cost, tires, brakes, etc and LEDT re-training in addition to training on the device. At this time due to chip shortages, Chevy really isn't doing an SSV so they can use the chips for the higher cost civilian vehicles as the SSV's are bought on government contract at a much lower price point. When it comes to unmarked vehicles, admin etc, PD is being whatever they can off the lot, usually at an increased price because they are unable to order on contract like they have in the past. Even then do they put them on every vehicle? If not, which vehicles and officers get them? What happens if an officer gets promoted out of patrol, retires, switches shifts, divisions etc? Do they take from other necessary programs to fund things like this? We've got a new bomb truck and hostage negotiator vehicle this year at costs combined over $500k, a 2nd bearcat has been purchased but not delivered, and the same for a 3rd aircraft as more air support coverage is needed (its not 24/7). A lot of these were very necessary as the previous bomb truck and negotiator van were probably two decades old, or older. The previous were no where near the cost, nor have technology any where close to the new ones. We are dealing with issues worse than during the peak off COVID, for example, the Tahoes you see on I40 etc, the unmarked are OCPD units, then you typically see the marked Sheriffs Units, these are CITCO (City/County) drug interdiction units, we had one down for almost 3 weeks as they couldn't get brakes for it. We are dealing with things like this constantly on almost a daily basis. They painted the top of our new K9 builds white to keep the heat down, and the white paint was unavailable for weeks.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet. You have to realize budget constraints with a department this size. Realistically, they look for cost savings. In the past two years, we've had to move to SUV's completely, where a]s we could purchase sedans before. Thats not an option anymore. The SUV's have gone up $8k this year alone, plus the additional cost of the equipment, such as second partition to separate the cargo area from the prisoner area, window guards all around, the additional cost of the TVI bumper vs previous push bar, any increased cost on the equipment already put in, the dashcams that are now installed, we also started a rifle program a few years ago, so the cost of the rifle racks, etc. Some of these costs may seem miniscule, like a few hundred dollars, but when you are dealing with roughly 150 cars a year, it all adds up. Looking at these, they come at a cost of $5k 3 years ago. From their site, they only have 400+ in service nationwide. OCPD has over 800 marked patrol vehicles, so from a cost standpoint, let alone viability standpoint, its not an easy decision. This would cost the dept roughly $750,000 a year to add to our new builds, and I dont think they would work on Explorers as they are a unibody fwd design, so the dept would have to switch to a Tahoe or half ton truck at an increased cost, increased fuel cost, tires, brakes, etc and LEDT re-training in addition to training on the device. At this time due to chip shortages, Chevy really isn't doing an SSV so they can use the chips for the higher cost civilian vehicles as the SSV's are bought on government contract at a much lower price point. When it comes to unmarked vehicles, admin etc, PD is being whatever they can off the lot, usually at an increased price because they are unable to order on contract like they have in the past. Even then do they put them on every vehicle? If not, which vehicles and officers get them? What happens if an officer gets promoted out of patrol, retires, switches shifts, divisions etc? Do they take from other necessary programs to fund things like this? We've got a new bomb truck and hostage negotiator vehicle this year at costs combined over $500k, a 2nd bearcat has been purchased but not delivered, and the same for a 3rd aircraft as more air support coverage is needed (its not 24/7). A lot of these were very necessary as the previous bomb truck and negotiator van were probably two decades old, or older. The previous were no where near the cost, nor have technology any where close to the new ones. We are dealing with issues worse than during the peak off COVID, for example, the Tahoes you see on I40 etc, the unmarked are OCPD units, then you typically see the marked Sheriffs Units, these are CITCO (City/County) drug interdiction units, we had one down for almost 3 weeks as they couldn't get brakes for it. We are dealing with things like this constantly on almost a daily basis. They painted the top of our new K9 builds white to keep the heat down, and the white paint was unavailable for weeks.
The CITCO guys are really busy out east and south and sitting on the turnpike entrance. Good on them. When I was working, I saw them all the time with someone stopped.

Does Canadian County have the same units working I 40 or are they feds?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CITCO guys are really busy out east and south and sitting on the turnpike entrance. Good on them. When I was working, I saw them all the time with someone stopped.

Does Canadian County have the same units working I 40 or are they feds?

Should be CCSO or OBN. Their interdiction unit is fairly new. Not sure if you knew Mo or not, but he left COMIT/OCPD (old CITCO unit but with OCDA as part of the task force) and went to CCSO and helped start up their unit 3 years ago or so, and works west of CITCO on 40 usually. And yeah, CITCO is busy. Sando is retired now, and Frank has a new pup Juicy, and they had several units in that area along with Motors working hard.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be CCSO or OBN. Their interdiction unit is fairly new. Not sure if you knew Mo or not, but he left COMIT/OCPD (old CITCO unit but with OCDA as part of the task force) and went to CCSO and helped start up their unit 3 years ago or so, and works west of CITCO on 40 usually. And yeah, CITCO is busy. Sando is retired now, and Frank has a new pup Juicy, and they had several units in that area along with Motors working hard.
" . . . and they had several units in that area along with Motors working hard."
1673203803681.png

:laugh6:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" . . . and they had several units in that area along with Motors working hard."
View attachment 336747
:laugh6:

No secret what they do, they post all their big busts on facebook and the news. The county vehicles are all marked. Besides, its not locals they are usually stopping anyways, at least CITCO. No secret as to what Motors is doing when there are 3-4 of them, all with someone pulled over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom