Police Officer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guns I see come through the police academy are (roughly):

90% Glock, with the majority being 40, then 357, then 9, then 45.

5% Springfield XD, mostly in 40

3% S&W M&P (this is growing rapidly though), mostly in 40 and 9

2% other - a lot of these are Sig and 1911's (quite a few Taurus!)

40S&W is by far the most popular caliber.

(Readying myself for the flames!) FWIW, I hate the 40 S(hort)&W(eak) and just sold my last one. The 40 was a compromise for the people who could not handle the 10mm. The 40 was the answer to a question that was never asked. However, it does make a great round for competitors.

While caliber size (in handguns) may help safely end some miniscule amount of situations, a decent caliber (9mm or larger) combined with decent duty ammunition and excellent shot placement is WAY more important, IMHO, in successfully defeating a threat.

If you are looking to be an officer and will purchase your own gun, the Glock is the way to go. It is reliable and, relatively, inexpensive and you can find every imaginable accessory for it. Personally, I like them in 45 and 10mm (Caution: good 10mm ammo is EXPENSIVE).

Non-uniformed, I carry a Springfield 1911 in 9mm or a Colt Commander in 38 Super and a S&W 642 LadySmith 38 Special.

Uniformed, I carry a Colt Delta Gold Cup in 10mm and a S&W 642 LadySmith in 38 Special

Don

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ocpd did issue glock 22 's til the started having problems with them when a light is attached to the rail. they are issueing xd's to the new academies after FTO they can carry anything on the approved list as long as they can qualify with it. no single actions like 1911's. glocks,xd's ,smiths, sigs, berettas some rugers ,hk's

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hubby, GlockCop, is an OHP trooper. His issued duty weapon is a Sig P226 in .357SIG. It has only been out of its case once in the 10 years I have known him.

His duty weapon is a Glock 17 ... or maybe it is his 19, I forget.

OHP can carry other guns than their issued weapon, but they have to qualify with whatever gun they want to carry.

They recently got a memo from on high about not being able to carry certain handguns but I do not recall what those guns were. I can check with him if you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom