Police Reserve Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get phone calls asking for donations, all the time. If you give, you get a sticker say, "I support Police!!" Does this imply I could get out of a ticket, by having this sticker? I DO SUPPORT POLICE!! We would be in a heck of a mess without them!! They MUST have the authority to do the job without being KILLED! Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!! We the people must do our part as well, and root out any nut case Cops, that slip though the screening system! Our way is not perfect, but try and name a better way to have a safe society!!
- Start prosecuting in a timely manner, those that break the law. When a 'death row' inmate has a better chance of dying from old age than from being executed, something is very wrong with our legal system.
- When 'Special Needs' criminal offenders are given a free-pass only because they have been designated as being 'Special Needs' . . . 'Special Needs' does not automatically equate to not knowing the difference between right and wrong.
- Not enforcing the law because of fear that in doing so, some may be 'offended' only reinforces the idea of there being a double-standard which leads to animosity, then violence.
- The degree of punishment meted out based partly on the perpetrators' wealth, popularity (or lack of), position, race, or connections which often lead to vastly different outcomes reinforces the idea of a double-standard and must stop.
- Having incarceration institutions that may be more physically 'luxurious' than the incarcerated is use to 'on the street' or at their home is not going to have much of a detrimental effect on their behavior. Imprisonment needs to be feared, not proudly viewed as a badge of distinction by convicts ('Orange is the New Black').

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t realize it was even a thing until one of my friends asked me if I wanted to ride with him. I ended up riding a lot and having to get out and help fight a few times (back then at times he was the only one in the county after 1am, luckily they’ve been able to change that). He asked me
If I ever thought about reserving. I went to an academy, 17 years and 10k hours on duty later and I’m still at it. I had to supply my own equipment (which I like because I get to chose my weapons), boots and things.

Every agency is different, some only ride along / work special events, some are paid (most are not), some do everything (investigations and all). You’ll see things in your community you didn’t have a clue about, things that will make you sick, anngry, and sad, you will get spit on and might get shot at. You may have to notify people of the passing of a loved one (and they may be your neighbors or friends). You will see, hear, and smell things you’ll never forget. You may have to arrest your own family, coworker, or friends (I’ve had to a few). Remember they’re no different or better than anyone else, including you, so treat them how you’d like to be treated when you can. Most people aren’t bad, some just make poor choices from time to time.

On occasions you will get to help people who are broken down on the side of the road, lost, buy some food or fuel for a needy family, search for missing children and adults, work special events at schools, get abused or people in crisis help, provide medical aid, maybe pull someone out of a burning house or a car that’s washed into a creek. Your biggest fans will most likely be the officers you’re on the street with because they’re understaffed and appreciate any and all help they can get. Not everyone can do it, but if you think you’re suited for it you should. It’ll benefit your community and hopefully you’ll find the work as rewarding as I have. It’s not always “fun” or easy, but it’s necessary, someone has to do it. The best advice I can give is that if you do it don’t be a jerk to people. As I’ve said, most are generally good people, just some make mistakes like we all have, and most will treat you as you treat them.

Probably more than you wanted to know, I got started and kept going, lol.
On the other hand sometimes being a jerk is required. Some people just don't respond to kind words. The only thing they know is to be told, in no uncertain terms, what it is they have to do and to understand there are consequences for not complying. Obviously, it's not the first way you want to proceed and not every contact will lead to it, but it definitely has to be something one has to be able to do if they plan on working this job, especially in the county where many times, it's just you and the bad guy(s)

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been both a reserve sheriff deputy and a volunteer fireman. People were happy to see me show up as a fireman. Not so much as a LEO. With today's attitudes towards police and the litigious society we have become, I cannot imagine now putting myself or my family in such legal jeopardy. God forbid you were ever involved in a shooting, you can imagine the picture the defense attorney would paint of someone volunteering just to get the chance to shoot someone.
I was in the process of going through the application process until I found out this particular agency’s reserve officers weren’t protected by the police union and were on their own if anything legal went down.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the other hand sometimes being a jerk is required. Some people just don't respond to kind words. The only thing they know is to be told, in no uncertain terms, what it is they have to do and to understand there are consequences for not complying. Obviously, it's not the first way you want to proceed and not every contact will lead to it, but it definitely has to be something one has to be able to do if they plan on working this job, especially in the county where many times, it's just you and the bad guy(s)
Ask, tell, make.

Latest posts

Top Bottom