Police Reserve Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't listen to this guy he don't know what he's talking about. reserves are not second class. broken arrow has reserves and they go thru all the same training as full time cops and they have the same authority as the full time guys. there are a lot of departments that have reserves you just have to call and ask.
I was a reserve dip****

Add a comma or leave it as-is. Truth in both ways

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been both a reserve sheriff deputy and a volunteer fireman. People were happy to see me show up as a fireman. Not so much as a LEO. With today's attitudes towards police and the litigious society we have become, I cannot imagine now putting myself or my family in such legal jeopardy. God forbid you were ever involved in a shooting, you can imagine the picture the defense attorney would paint of someone volunteering just to get the chance to shoot someone.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reserve cops and the various qualifications and duties vary WIDELY. Some are well trained, well vetted and do pretty much what the FT guys do, just do it PT. A few even have take home cars.

Others are basically the a good ole boy network and just carry a badge.

Most however, are minimally trained and used as 2nd tier officers, such as when more man power is needed for events (both planned and unplanned), searches or just a 2nd man in a car.

You would have to talk to the various departments in your area to see, if they have a reserve program, and what type of program it is.

You should be interviewing them as much they are you when you look.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was a reserve dip****

Add a comma or leave it as-is. Truth in both ways
guess you worked for a second class department. guess you should have been more careful who you worked for. there are lots of good ones out there that have reserves and some that shouldnt have police at all, not even full time. if the op wants to be a reserve there's nothing wrong with that it's a good thing. he just needs to find a good department like broken arrow is. i knew a couple guys who did reserve there one was retired and wanted to stay in cop work, they both trained hard and had nothing bad to say about the department. i have heard some bad stories to so i know it goes both ways.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
God bless reserve officers. They are the ones that are excited to come in when I don't want to. They are the ones that are eager and ambitious when I'm burnt out and tired. They are the ones that love to wear the uniform when I would rather lounge around in my shorts and a T shirt. They're the ones who's heart is still in it while I'm sick and tired of the political bullsheet.

And...get this...they do it all for FREE! :faint:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been both a reserve sheriff deputy and a volunteer fireman. People were happy to see me show up as a fireman. Not so much as a LEO. With today's attitudes towards police and the litigious society we have become, I cannot imagine now putting myself or my family in such legal jeopardy. God forbid you were ever involved in a shooting, you can imagine the picture the defense attorney would paint of someone volunteering just to get the chance to shoot someone.
Ninety percent of the time there is any LEO / public interaction it is a negative situation. That is where training, procedures and professionalism take over.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom