Power outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please reference a public law that someone is breaking when they back feed electricity into their own house from their own generator. I’d like to see that. And he’s not the only that has done that during extended power outages. I’d also like to know what law enforcement agency issues citations for back feeding electricity through your dryer outlet. I didn’t see anything in Oklahoma Title 21 that would cover that.

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-21/

It can be considered reckless endangerment.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could only be considered reckless if someone is injured or killed. The mere act of back feeding wouldn’t be considered reckless.
Um, no. Reckless endangerment is defined as "the criminal offense of recklessly engaging in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury or death to another person".

You do not have to cause actual injury or death to be cited with reckless endangerment.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um, no. Reckless endangerment is defined as "the criminal offense of recklessly engaging in conduct that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury or death to another person".

You do not have to cause actual injury or death to be cited with reckless endangerment.

Good luck in law school!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can hard wire your generator into the meter box or better just below the main disconnect. for safety just pull the meter. best to have an air gap between generator and grid. while you have the cover off the disconnect just pull the breaker. or best case just install a transfer switch below the main disconnect. shouldn't be that expensive especially if you buy a switch that meets your generator amperage.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please reference a public law that someone is breaking when they back feed electricity into their own house from their own generator. I’d like to see that. And he’s not the only that has done that during extended power outages. I’d also like to know what law enforcement agency issues citations for back feeding electricity through your dryer outlet. I didn’t see anything in Oklahoma Title 21 that would cover that.

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-21/
And to top that off there are umpteen websites that tell you how to backfeed from a generator into the dryer outlet. Why hasn’t the FBI shutdown these websites and prosecuted the folks that put them up?

https://upgradedhome.com/connect-generator-to-house-through-dryer-outlet/
Im not trying to argue with anyone just attempting to offer my advice. Ive been doing commercial and industrial electrical a long time and have a state license to do so. To my knowledge all but one other person who has replied to this thread is an unlicensed home gamer at best. spouting advice that I think is or could be used dangerously.

There are countless places on the web where you can get instruction on how to do things wrong and sometimes illegal. Outside of few events most of the sources remain unchecked. I'd guess freedom of speech dosent mean what is said is worth a damn.

Backfeeding a branch circuit COULD be allowed if it meets NEC guidelines never said it wasn't.... Post 7 mentioned assembling a cord with two male ends, Post 8 asked if it was illegal and your post 9 said why not

The oklahoma uniform building code has adopted the IBC and NEC for electrical standards and practices. It is adopted on a county level under which and how they want to interpret this code. At a state level you can go down the rabbit hole here... https://www.ok.gov/oubcc/Codes_&_Rules/Adopted_Building_Codes/

The 2014 NEC (again adopted at a state level) says in 406.7(a-d)

NEC 406.7.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So since I got this rolling, this would be nice, but I suspect a bit more labor intensive and intimidating for me although nice.
https://www.amazon.com/EGS107501G2K...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=Where as If I go interlock I feel comfortable installing it myself since it's just adding a breaker (30 amp) and safety plate to the panel, running wire to the exterior inlet/outlet box. I've located most parts at interlock.com but apparently the panel is old enough I can't find the switch plate. But they look easy enough to fabricate.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im not trying to argue with anyone just attempting to offer my advice. Ive been doing commercial and industrial electrical a long time and have a state license to do so. To my knowledge all but one other person who has replied to this thread is an unlicensed home gamer at best. spouting advice that I think is or could be used dangerously.

There are countless places on the web where you can get instruction on how to do things wrong and sometimes illegal. Outside of few events most of the sources remain unchecked. I'd guess freedom of speech dosent mean what is said is worth a damn.

Backfeeding a branch circuit COULD be allowed if it meets NEC guidelines never said it wasn't.... Post 7 mentioned assembling a cord with two male ends, Post 8 asked if it was illegal and your post 9 said why not

The oklahoma uniform building code has adopted the IBC and NEC for electrical standards and practices. It is adopted on a county level under which and how they want to interpret this code. At a state level you can go down the rabbit hole here... https://www.ok.gov/oubcc/Codes_&_Rules/Adopted_Building_Codes/

The 2014 NEC (again adopted at a state level) says in 406.7(a-d)

View attachment 216158

I never said I thought it was safe. What I did say was that it was not illegal.
Personally I wouldn’t do it. I‘m not gonna get bit again. You’ve given good advice and I appreciate what you’ve shared.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can hard wire your generator into the meter box or better just below the main disconnect. for safety just pull the meter. best to have an air gap between generator and grid. while you have the cover off the disconnect just pull the breaker. or best case just install a transfer switch below the main disconnect. shouldn't be that expensive especially if you buy a switch that meets your generator amperage.
If you pull the meter, the utility supplying your power will have to come out to inspect and approve once the tamper lock is removed around here. Our meters are auto read electronically. When they are disconnected, the utility knows it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom