PSO/AEP frustration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife an I have a 1/4 of land where PSO/AEP has a transmission line going across the corner, 3 doubles and 1 triple. So I’m aware they have a perpetual easement, no problems with that.

Evidently they’re going to replace them in 2023 and are planning on boring holes for soil testing pretty soon.

Sometime last year I went to feed my cattle and found that one of their reps cut my chain to put one of their locks in the system.
Called and visited pretty politely with a couple of other reps, the guy that cut my chain even called and said what he did. All I asked is just give me a little courtesy and call me anytime and I’d let them in, they assured me it wouldn’t happen again.

Well, I go to feed cattle today, and danged if they didn’t do it again. Today I wasn’t near as nice and easy going, pretty fricken hot.

Not wanting to deny them entry, access to the R.O.W at all, but I’ll be danged if I’m gonna let them just cut my chains any time they want.

Anyone else have this type of issue?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had the issue with a lock being put in my chain initially. Just caught them on my property and they had cut the cable that has a combo lock. They said I couldn't lock them out. Ha ha. I told them they have access.to the right of way with permission and don't have permission to damage anything. And should be respectful to folks and call for permission. Id open the place anytime. They disagreed. I thought OK. Well. I didn't see when they broke in but they put a lock on my gate. Funny that it broke and fell off. They accused me of damaging. Ha ha. Not going to admit to that but I lived there and odd things happened all the time.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They said I couldn't lock them out. Ha ha. I told them they have access.to the right of way with permission and don't have permission to damage anything.

Actually, per Oklahoma law, when you signed the deed to your land you gave carte blanc permission for any utility that has easement access rights to get to those easements. I agree 100% that they should call first, but its not a requirement. As far as cutting locks go, PSO is known to get access however they can without contact. Dunno why, but they do. With my company we always try to alert homeowners before we enter their property. If no contact can be made we only enter if its safe to do so. I usually will just site no access if its a stockade with a locked gate. I know some guys who will put a ladder on both sides and use them for access, but I know dogs can climb ladders so no thankyou. If I can see in the backyard that there is no animals and no doggie door, and if its absolutely necessary, I will go over a fence. But my company forbids us from removing a lock, or disassembling a locking mechanism, to gain entry.

Now, what he said about not being allowed to "lock them out" is true, but not in that perspective. You can not create a barrier specifically aimed at preventing easement access (great example: I had a time where a homeowner built a small enclosure around our ped with the expressed interest to keep us out. I could not establish contact and called my sup, he said take down the fence as there was no gate. So, 5 lb sledge in hand I took down the fence panel. Sup called me 3 days later because the homeowner complained about it. My sup had called him and told him he can not fence off our ped in such a way that we can not access it.). However, locking a gate to prevent access to all of your land is not targeting them specifically. So, he was in the wrong about that part.

I'm not posting this to say you are wrong, just trying to shed light on what I know about this subject since it pertains to my job.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in no way trying to keep them out/off their ROW, I’ve told every person with their company that same thing when I visited with them.

I work with ROW’s in my job almost on a daily basis so I know they’ve got a perpetual easement.

My main sticking point is, during the round of conversations after the first time they cut my chain that if they call me and I would let them in day or night as I just live 4.5 miles from where they cut my chain.

Every person I talked to I gave my phone number to, and even the project manager said they would call and this would never happen again.

Then they cut it again and it’s still the same people I talked to the first time, I just don’t abide by that type of crap happening.

I wrote the original post just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get along/go about this problem with AEP/PSO.

Last edited:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in no way trying to keep them out/off their ROW, I’ve told every person with their company that same thing when I visited with them.

I work with ROW’s in my job almost on a daily basis so I know they’ve got a perpetual easement.

My main sticking point is, during the round of conversations after the first time they cut my chain that if they call me and I would let them in day or night as I just live 4.5 miles from where they cut my chain.

Every person I talked to I gave my phone number to, and even the project manager said they would call and this would never happen again.

Then they cut it again and it’s still the same people I talked to the first time, I just don’t abide by that type of crap happening.

Yeah, that is a dick move. And you are not alone. I've talked to many homeowners who were surprised I made contact as PSO and ONG rarely ask, they just walk right back there. One guy I talked to at first didn't want to let me in because he thought I was PSO. When he realized I wasn't, he said he had no problem with me going back there because I asked. Told me PSO once tore down his gate to get access. He came home to his gate leaning against the house and his backyard wide open. No note, no "hey, we had to do this to replace something", nothing. When he called the person told him that they can do whatever they want to get access and are not responsible for replacement.

IMO enough of these cases should be presented to the Utility Commission and force PSO to change their methods of access.

xtremerange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked some mine sites back a while where multiple people would have access. Everyone had their own lock inline on the chain. Can that not be done here? Just aksing. Obviously only works with chains.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I am training new firemen, I always say cut a chain link next to lock instead of the lock. Access can be made and lock owner can open lock and close it at the next link. It doesn't require replacing the lock.

I can't offer much but at least they haven't cut your lock.

Are you against them putting their lock in the chain? I have access to some properties that have AEP/PSO, Enable, OneOk and landowners locks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom