Question for military guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the rifle range, when you miss the target downrange, they wave the red disc from one side to the other instead of holding it up in a scoring position.

To me, the guy sounds like an obvious BS artist. I've worked with a few of them in the past before... they make me sick to my stomach.

Did some research, yeah, that originated back in the day when people actually worked the targets from within a ditch downrange. They would pull the target down, and a miss would get the flag waved, & general mocking. I guess some services continue to use the RSO as a spotter, here in the light infantry we do not. We have dedicated Master Gunners, that literally will lay on the back of a guy that can't shoot, look down his line of sight, and make corrections by screaming at him from about 1" away from his ear. I find this method very motivating...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This "ditch" that the dude is talking about is actually known as the "pits" and is still used today on most all known distance ranges. That fact alone tells me this guy doesn't know doodly-squat about that which he claims.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did some research, yeah, that originated back in the day when people actually worked the targets from within a ditch downrange. They would pull the target down, and a miss would get the flag waved, & general mocking.
In the Marines we worked the pits marking shots with white disks

I know bootcamp scoring and marking was different than in the fleet, not sure how its done now.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, just got off the phone with Fort Sill Range Operations & Scheduling...

Fort Sill does not (nor have they for the decade+ this guy has ran RO) have any manual targets, with the exception of the LaRue steel target system, which is not drawn down individually to score hits, they are scored with a spotter.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We also worked the pits in the Army on the KD range. That was Ft Leonard Wood.

When? I have been researching all morning, & I can't get definitive information regarding when this type of range went obsolete. While DOD & DA mandate broad changes in reg, I know some bases have been more on the cutting edge for small arms qualification, such as Fort Knox, & Benning.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you serious?
Nah, you are certainly mistaken, as the last 6 duty stations I have been to have not had manually handled target systems. The Army went automated years ago, too many range mishaps. Might want to get your info straight before making broad statements.

I've never heard of a range mishap with the pit system... ever and I also do know for a fact that the pit system is still in use today at known distance ranges. I am not aware of the system you are talking about but is that on a known distance, paper bullseye type target setup? Anyway... none of that is even the point.

A 56 or whatever year old he is man who claims to have the experience he does and claims to have been or be a range officer will certainly know that terminology and the pit system. He just can't not know it.

Add in all of his other blathering and you all are right, he's a poser.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Point is, this gentleman has claimed a lot more than being a military RSO, and has shown some deficiencies in his training for his claims.

As for his lack of knowledge of a no longer used range system & operation. I'm 37 and ignorant to military life and I have heard of the "obsolete" range practices of pits & scoring, so I expect with some of his claimed knowledge to have a least heard of it.

I am dealing with him appropriately. Thank you guys for the info and advice you have given.

Mods please close this thread. I have the info I need.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not in any way defending the guy, but there ARE people out there that like to beat their own drum about their military accomplishments. They are rare but do exist.

I would insist on a current military ID or a DD214 to prove military service. As far as his being special ops, may be true or he may have been a cook in the 1ID at Riley and wants to tell a better story.

As far as showing your DD214 to someone, I would not have a problem doing that, but I dont think I would want to let someone make a copy of it unless they had a very good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom