Question for military guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've never served, I'm blind in one eye, so I'm pretty ignorant to most things military.

I have a guy that calls me and says he wants to take ALL my instructor classes. He tells me he is active duty spec ops and survival instructor.

I inform him about my military discounts. He then tells me how he want to do this to "give back to the community".

Well that is music to my ears so with that and his claimed service I give him a smoking deal.

On the day of the first class, several alarms go off in my head that this guy is full of it.

Both my apprentice instructors both came to me at different times saying "where'd you get this guy?"

Both are convinced he is a BS artist.

In class he has shown very conflicting things concerning gun knowledge he claims.

Purplehaze gave me sound advice to ask for his DD214.

I did and he seemed like I asked for his bank routing & pin numbers. He did not want to show me.

Is there confidential info in a DD214 that he shouldn't show me to verify his credentials?

I appreciate any info.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot's of good stuff on the DD214's. If he's active duty (doubtful) he SHOULD have a military ID he can show to support his claim. Spec Ops in Oklahoma? What branch is he proclaiming to be in? Closest secret squirrel post I can think of is Bragg. Ft. Sill is an artillery post. All the Air Force Bases are not special forces, to my knowledge. Unless the have a detachment of SEALs at Tinker, I think he's full of crap. Even Ft. Smith isn't spec.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You state he is Active duty. If that is the case he will have an Active Duty ID card and may or may not have a DD214 depending on some different factors.

Oh, and DD214 lists your dates of service, awards, reenlistment code, etc, etc. My DD214 sits in my safe and doesn't come out for anybody except the VA.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The DD-214 isn't normally given until discharge. And no, there's nothing classified in the document itself, they don't put classified material on a document that they are giving to some Yo-Yo to take home with him. Surely, "Rambo" has some documentation to back his claims up. If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, odds are, it's a duck.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that I know of, I held one of the highest classifications I know of...which is 20 years gone by...but still. I doubt there is anything on anyone's DD214 that isn't for public consumption. I have mine registered with the County I live in, which is normal practice.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purplehaze gave me sound advice to ask for his DD214.

I did and he seemed like I asked for his bank routing & pin numbers. He did not want to show me.

Is there confidential info in a DD214 that he shouldn't show me to verify his credentials?

I appreciate any info.

I served in the Navy from 83-93. There is absolutely no reason for him to not show you his DD-214 (unless he doesn't have one). It is perfectly normal for any business to ask to see a copy to verify service for an advertised discount. However if he is active duty he should have a green ID card and won't have a DD-214 unless he has re-enlisted at least 1x. I would ask for proof of service. ID Card , Green = Active duty, Red = retired. No ID then he is not active duty or retired and would have a DD-214 to verify dates of service and discharge status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom