Question for the senior members.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take care of yourself, but don't cut out "junk food" altogether. You're much more likely to stay in shape if indulging in something greasy is regular but infrequent thing.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is like any habit. Start it early, keep it long term.

I used to be in great shape. Even before a stint in the Army.

Tore a shoulder, busted an ankle, had a bike accident.

Gained alot of weight. Lost alot of weight. Gained it back.

In the process of losing it again. This time for good.

Getting back in shape is A LOT harder than STAYING in shape.

LOSING weight is A LOT harder than gaining weight.

Things you don't think about when you are younger and fitter. When you get older, your weight and fitness matter in alot of financial decisions. Not just yours. Insurance companies will look at your weight and fitness to determine rates. For things like life insurance, health insurance, disability insurance. Heck, maybe even car insurance.

Gain weight, lose fitness and eventually your blood pressure will go up. Maybe not everyone's but most overweight people do have some form of blood pressure problem. If you are a man and take blood pressure meds, guess what one of the common side effects is? Noodle syndrome. In the words of George Burns, imagine trying to stick a raw oyster in a coin slot.

I'm not sure what happened, or exactly when it happened. I do know that it is no one's fault but my own and I am in the process of trying to fix things. I wish I could go back and let my 53 year old self have a long talk with my 18 year old self.

There is a lot that I'd like to tell him.

Staying fit and trim is just one of those things.

Dave

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it better to enjoy the younger years more and eat whatever you want while you can or take better care of yourself early in attempt to have better health once your 50 and up? Im in shape and in physical good health in my 30's but eat alot of greasy foods and junk.
Seriously, experience would be nice.
Thanks to my wife, I am 67 without any major and very few minor health issues. My main problem is a little pain in the joints, no high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, now, the definitive word. I could write a book, but I'll be brief.

Eat in moderation. Eat the right foods. Keep pleasure foods to a minimum, as treats. Eat your 3 meals a day and seriously limit snacks. You really don't need sugar drinks and high levels of beer and liquor (sorry). Make the effort to learn the good and bad foods. Learn to read labels!

As you get older, you will naturally gain weight or redistribute it, even if you don't knowingly increase your intake. And, the older you get, the harder it is to take it off. Trust me.

Exercise regularly. Normal work will often do the job except you do need to stress yourself with some regularity, both muscle and wind. Routine exercise, for most people, will not make them lose any significant weight, but it will keep the body in shape.

I'm a believer in certain natural ingredients/supplements. I have been a vinegar and honey freak ever since my Granny gave it to me as a child. I also use cinnamon whenever I can. I use crushed red pepper and/or cayenne pepper on darn near everything. I buy it by the quart.

Oh, by the way, since we're on a gun forum. TAKE CARE OF YOUR EARS!!! Did you hear that? Don't shoot without protection. You will pay a price if you do.

Anyway, you can either live it up now and pay a price later or you can ease off a bit and improve your lot later. All you younger ones who laugh this off, just look around. How many older people that you know have trouble just getting up out of a chair; are winded by walking out to the mailbox, have the grip of a fish, etc. Of course, a good part of that is just wearing out as we get older. But a lot of it is payback.

Sorry, didn't mean to preach.

Latest posts

Top Bottom