Questions on 250 Gal Propane New dog breed Safe bolt down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a smaller sporting dog, consider a Springer Spaniel (field-bred, not bench-bred). Very smart, great with families (I grew up with three), natural bird dogs, and desperately eager to please.

Tons of energy, though. If you're not going to fence, you might want something larger that will get tired more quickly.

Still, I do miss my Springers.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you want a dog for country living, I would make sure to get one that was big enough not to get stretched out by coyotes one night.
I agree.

We had a German shepherd/Australian shepherd mix and a huge Chesapeake bay retriever.

Never had any trouble with coyotes or any other critters on the place and they both were great watchdogs.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the country and would definitely suggest at least 500 gallons for the propane tank. We recently had an emergency generator installed and got another 500 just for it.

We have a GSD - 125 lb male, black, 10.5 years old, obedience trained. Got him when he was 7 weeks old. Great protector. Liked to wander when we first moved to the country about 5 years ago. Keep in mind, GSDs shed tremendously! He's an outside dog for the most part...but we have a dog door on our laundry/mud room where he spends most of his time. He can come & go inside as he desires. No problem with coyotes near the house! When he goes to dog heaven, I don't know what kind I'll get, but you gotta keep a good watchdog in the country!

Got a safe bolted to my floor in the garage. Didn't use any type of spacers but probably will on my next one...speaking of which I do need another gun/ammo safe!

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 4 rolls of 30# felt left over and I think that's a great under layer. I'll give it a shot.
our 250 gal will only supply a range top and eventually an outdoor grill. I hate electric to cook with and it's a life saver when the power is out.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On propane you can never have to big of a tank. You must remember they only fill them to 80% capacity. I have a 1,000 tank bought at the scrap yard in Ponca and it cost me all of $117 for scrap weight. :) Most tanks that have been "refurbished" run about $1 per gallon.

Cant say about the safe.

On the dog even the best will chase a critter and may intrude some place that gets them into a mess. You mention a lab, they love to follow smells, just think of the fun they have with no fence. If the idea of no fence is rock solid I would suggest a long cable run. We have had labs all the time, they are awesome house dogs, but like kids the first two years they can be horrible. just full of energy. If they have a playmate they will spend most of that energy with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom