Questions on 250 Gal Propane New dog breed Safe bolt down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I have a few questions.......we are moving to the country soon and im needing some suggestions/opinions on a few items

I'm searching for the best price on an above ground 250 gal propane tank in the greater OKC area. $675 seems to be the going rate. Any ideas to source one cheaper other that CL?

Also, once we move to our new house (currently under construction), my wife wants a large dog than the dreaded Chihuahuas. She is dead set on a German Sheppard, but id rather have a lab or smaller sporting dog. The dog will be a family pet for the kids and serve as security. We also, do not intend to have a fence so the dog must be smart enough to not wonder off.

I will bolt down my gun safe in the master closet, but didn't know if I should do it before carpet or after. Once its installed, I plan to frame around it and basically build it into the closet design. I don't intend to ever remove it even if we sell the house. Question is....bare concrete to metal or should I use a buffer material carpet with pad, carpet no pad, thin luan wood board, metal washers, etc.?

Thanks for any info

David

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Id call cactus or that blt place they are close to OKC for propane tank if you are gonna buy one. Or you can rent one from your propane supplier.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can rent your propane tank and some suppliers won't charge rent if You use enough gas. then attend farm sales and buy your own. put 30 lbs roof felt down under the safe on bare floor then bolt it down. best dog is boerboel

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we rent one but typically good condition propane tanks sale for $1/gallon...I wouldn't pay much more than that.

As far as the dog goes...the shorter the hair the better IMO if it will be inside at all. I don't like German shepherds but they are a very smart breed...labs are as well. Whatever you do don't get a boxer...been down that road twice. Cute dogs that are great with kids and have loads of personality...but real real real dumb. Usually for whatever reason, mutt's end up being the best dogs.

no comment on the safe, not much experience there.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
would recommend a terrier of some type - they will do a great job of keeping the varmits off your property. an airdale is the biggest and would be my pick - if you get a smaller one as well you'll have the pests covered - a rat terrier would be good. also - females tend to stay home more than males - have her spayed -

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$1 a gallon for a used propane tank is the most I'd pay. I found a 450 gallon propane tank awhile back for $300 for our gun club range clubhouse.

Definitely bolt your gun safe directly to the concrete. I'd recommend putting some stainless steel washers between the safe and the concrete so there can be a little air movement under it. Use the redhead concrete anchors or ones similar. I also recommend that when you drill through the concrete, drill all the way through the slab.
Reason is that is you have one of the anchors fail when your installing them, you can just drive it on through and put another one on top of it. I've had to do that in the past.
If you have tension cables in the slab, you'll want to avoid those when drilling. I don't have them, and don't have a clue how to identify their location in the slab, but some on here might know.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We rent a 500 gal from our supplier for ~60 bucks a year. Glad to have the 500, they will only fill it to 80% or 400gal for the 500 which would be 200 on a 250. Getting the tank filled in the summer when the price is down really helps as we can get well into winter before we need to buy more.

On the dog, just get a mutt the size you are wanting preferably from the pound or a rescue origination. Have no idea what we did right with our present dog but she doesn't wonder. We are on 8 acres can let her out by herself and be confident she won't go more than 25 yards or so from the house. Maybe putting her and the wife through dog training when she was a pup has something to do with it, I really don't know. She is 35 pounds of spaniel and what we suspect may be black lab.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for the pound/rescue dog. Keep looking during the next couple of weeks. Lots of dogs are given as X-mas presents. Then people realize how much work a puppy is, most end up in a pound or sold cheap.

Lab or Shepard would be great, muts with a little of bit of either will also be great.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any large, smart breed needs lots of human attention or it will certainly wander from boredom. Or chase game. Keep the dog supervised or contained when you can't watch it regardless.

The neighbor's dogs at my deer lease have a grand time chasing deer...they're damn lucky I'm the type who could never shoot a (healthy) dog. Most rural Okies aren't. Keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom