Quick update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hoping all is good for you today
Thank you Harley. I can't remember if I told you that I had a half brother named Harley. He was captured at Corregidor during the fall of the Philippines.
Here's a little info on him and what a great name you have. We have a bridge named for him a few miles from where I live.
He had survived the Bat death march and on 10/24/44, he and 1,900 other POW's were locked in the hole of Jap ship Arisan Maru. The Japs would not fly POW flags hoping the allies would not fire. They were wrong. An allied sub put two torpedo's in the hull. The Japs eliminated any chance for the pows to abandon ship. The POW's were packed like sardines in the Maru. The Japs shut the access from the deck to the hold to ensure the prisoners could not swim out when the Maru rolled.
Of the 1,900 pow's, only 10 survived.
A few of the awards he had are listed but he had more. I'll have to look them up
Silver Star ★ Prisoner of War Medal ★ Purple Heart ★ World War II Victory Medal ★ American Campaign Medal ★ Distinguished Unit Citation ★ Good Conduct Medal ★ Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hoping all is good with you, my friend, and also good for the woman who must be a saint just to put up with you (and you know I'm only half kidding). Get well soon, I miss your range reports on this rifle or that pistol--you've got to get back after it!

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Harley. I can't remember if I told you that I had a half brother named Harley. He was captured at Corregidor during the fall of the Philippines.
Here's a little info on him and what a great name you have. We have a bridge named for him a few miles from where I live.
He had survived the Bat death march and on 10/24/44, he and 1,900 other POW's were locked in the hole of Jap ship Arisan Maru. The Japs would not fly POW flags hoping the allies would not fire. They were wrong. An allied sub put two torpedo's in the hull. The Japs eliminated any change for the pows to abandon ship. The POW's were packed like sardines in the Maru. The Japs shut the access from the deck to the hold to ensure the prisoners could not swim out when the Maru rolled.
Of the 1,900 pow's, only 10 survived.
A few of the awards he had are listed but he had more. I'll have to look them up
Silver Star ★ Prisoner of War Medal ★ Purple Heart ★ World War II Victory Medal ★ American Campaign Medal ★ Distinguished Unit Citation ★ Good Conduct Medal ★ Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
wow! Definitely a hero! thanks for sharing that

Latest posts

Top Bottom