Racism as it was taught to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so you don't believe that a white kid and black kid born to two families on the same street in Beverly Hills won't both grow up to be successful, powerful and accomplished? the whole nature vs. nurture doesn't exist??!! granted those two kids from Beverly Hills aren't average, but the same formula is there and can be applied to any middle class environment. Now if you're talking about a white kid on the right side of the tracks and a black kid on the other, then we have a debate.

That's cool and all but here in the real world the black poverty rate is nearly 3 times that of the white poverty rate is, and there's what, somewhere around 6 times more white people than black people in the U.S.? So 1/6th the number of us and they are 3 times more likely to be born into poverty than a white kid. I'm no math magician, but it doesn't seem like Travis and Tyrone are gonna start off anywhere close to the same place.

If a computer randomly picks a black baby and a white baby born today in America, and I'm betting lunch on which one is born into a shittier life...my money's on black. I'm a logic guy.

Racism has a lot less to do with skin color and slurs and a lot more to do with socioeconomic discrimination.

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't want to be that way, and I didn't try to teach my children to be that way and always welcomed all their friends of diverse ethnicities to our home. I'm happy that I mave evolved to a great extent from the bigoted mindset I once had, but I still have to mentally kick myself in the ass sometimes when I fall short. America's "melting pot" still has a ways to go - lots of concrete in that hole.

I bet alot of folks on this board can say the same thing. All we can do is try and teach our kids. My kids are way less hateful than i ever was and my kids are way less tolerant than i am. By that i mean when another person spouts of racist or hateful crap my kids speak up, me, not so much. In that sense I've done my job, although I still fall shirt at times.

Good post btw.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bet alot of folks on this board can say the same thing. All we can do is try and teach our kids. My kids are way less hateful than i ever was and my kids are way less tolerant than i am. By that i mean when another person spouts of racist or hateful crap my kids speak up, me, not so much. In that sense I've done my job, although I still fall shirt at times.

Ditto*

*In no way is that an endorsement of Rush.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasnt raised to hate blacks or any other race. I have had a few black friends in the past but I admit I have tossed out the N word at times when I read a story about a black bad apple killing, raping or pillaging. But to me its no different than calling a white man a Douche bag for the same reason. The N word isnt about race to me in other words. I dont blame the bad apple for being black, I blame him for his poor behavior. So am I racist? I dont believe so. I work with several black gentlemen and they are professionals and thats exactly how I see them. I have a black guy who works for me. Nice guy, his work ethic isnt the best but thats not a black thing. He's late to work a lot - like 5 minutes and he used to have an issue using all his leave time as soon as it was accrued so he had none on the books for an emergency. I cured him of that when his father passed away and he needed to be off 3 days but had no leave. He though we could work it out somehow and I told him no, he would have to take leave without pay. That was an expensive 3 days at his salary.
But I digress. There is one black guy at work who spends a lot of time running to the Civil Rights Division and I'm pretty sure hes not there just to visit and have coffee.
I dont get mad if they call me a cracker so I dont get why they hate to be called a N....? But it is what it is.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's absurd that it has to be explained to some people that black people having a T.V. channel and years and years of institutionalized discrimination and disparate treatment are not comparable.

"Racism" with no power behind it means nothing. What is black privilege? Getting to say nigga freely? I'm so jealous. I don't think I'll trade my white male privilege, tho. I use that **** at work daily.

It's interesting to read all the comments, and I know most folks posting really mean what they say, ....but....
How does this group hug conclude?
A. We all just wrestle about here in the US, until we're all medium-brown, so race doesn't matter?
B. Finally, as a result of birth rates/death rates, whites do in fact become a minority on a national level, and blacks begin to be the majority in our political process?
C. Hispanics (the largest non-white expanding community) begin to make up the majority in our political process?
D. Whites become a physical minority, yet retain a death grip on political power in the U.S.?

When I say political, I mean to include economic power as well.
What's best for the country? What best for your grandkids?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my guess as to how it concludes - but what about the last two questions?

What's best for the country are a lot of pie-in-the-sky things that will never happen in reality. As a libertarian you should know all about those. We'll likely just complete the rise & fall cycle every great empire completes. We could do a little better in the meantime, though.

I won't have grandkids.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's interesting to read all the comments, and I know most folks posting really mean what they say, ....but....
When I say political, I mean to include economic power as well.
What's best for the country? What best for your grandkids?

It Won't end until EVERYONE from all religions, races, sexes, colors, attitudes,... can bust their own concrete into dust and teach there kids that concrete is a Useless, Stupid way that people once acted, and we have since learned better. My Liberty extends until it hurts someone else. That is my responsibility to know when I have hurt someone else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom