Ramp and electric wheel chair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
copied off the web site..
Veterans and Service members with specific service-connected disabilities may be
eligible. You must be entitled to disability compensation due to:
• Loss or loss of use of both legs
o Unable to move around without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or a
wheelchair
o Blindness in both eyes with 20/200 visual acuity or less in the better eye with
use of a corrective lens
• Loss of loss of use of one leg, and:
o Residuals of organic disease or injury OR
o Loss or loss of use of one arm, affecting balance and ability to move without aid
• Loss or loss of use of both arms at or above the elbows
• Severe burn injury
Also further down on that document:

You can receive a temporary SAH/SHA grant to adapt the home of a family member. The maximum amount available to adapt a family member’s home for the SAH grant is $40,983 and for the SHA grant is $7,318.

A little further down from that:
A Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant provides assistance for any home improvement necessary for treatment or disability access. Eligible Veterans and Service members can receive a HISA grant, as well as either a SAH or SHA grant. This program is available for both Veterans with service-connected disabilities and non- service-connected disabilities:
• Service-connected disabilities: home improvement benefits up to $6,800
• Non-service-connected disabilities: home improvement benefits up to $2,000 Learn more about HISA grants at VA.gov | Veterans Affairs.
So even if it’s not service connected, you don’t meet any above criteria, whatever, you likely still qualify for a $2k grant to get you a ramp built. But I would call/check to make sure. The last paragraph also talks about if you qualify for vocational rehab, they can help with “independent living” and accommodations to do so.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kudos to all who found possible resources for BReeves 😁 😁 😁 ! From personal experience when my father-in-law went into a powered scooter after an amputation, I can tell you there are so many more things to consider than just the entry ramp, such as: door widths, bathroom assistance hardware, bed hardware, kitchen counter heights, etc. This experience caused my wife and I to specify a zero clearance entry at the front door (no ramp necessary) and ADA-compliant door openings throughout the house when we built our home in 2009.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BReeves, I see there are a lot of folks willing to help you out but not many asking what you'd like and this may be a bit intrusive into your personal life and well being. Are you okay with others trying to find you a solution? Is it possible to have someone come by and take some pics along with measurements? That metal ramp listed on CL may be a good option as it wouldn't necessarily be permanent or at least more easily removed if you get your strength back and don't need/want the ramp any more.

This stuff happens(health issues) and I think us Okies are showing our true colors. My Dad passed away a year and a half ago and last thing he would ever do is ask for help. BUT, if some of us can help get you a ramp and a scooter, we'll all feel better knowing we helped a fellow person in need. The world needs more giving and less taking!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any connections to a non profit that might build a ramp off my porch. Have seen on TV where volunteers have built ramps for vets but no idea who to get in touch with. Have some money but not enough to have it built. Can probably find an electric wheel chair on CraigsList I can afford.

Looks like this is going to hang around for quite sometime, would really like to be able to get into my old office where my 3D printers re at and make it easier to get to the car. I do have a couple nice guns I could sell or use for barter.

Any help would be appreciated.
Check Craigslist for free materials, too. If you have medical insurance, you can get a new scooter or power wheelchair through the insurance. Got one for my wife some years ago. Chair cost $7K, I paid $1k of it, and that was financed over the course of a couple of years. If she needs it desperately again, I'll have to put several hundred dollars worth of batteries in it, last time was $400, but it's doable. Right now it's the only chair in the house that is comfortable for her. Might also check out thrift shops.

Bill

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BReeves, I see there are a lot of folks willing to help you out but not many asking what you'd like and this may be a bit intrusive into your personal life and well being. Are you okay with others trying to find you a solution? Is it possible to have someone come by and take some pics along with measurements? That metal ramp listed on CL may be a good option as it wouldn't necessarily be permanent or at least more easily removed if you get your strength back and don't need/want the ramp any more.

This stuff happens(health issues) and I think us Okies are showing our true colors. My Dad passed away a year and a half ago and last thing he would ever do is ask for help. BUT, if some of us can help get you a ramp and a scooter, we'll all feel better knowing we helped a fellow person in need. The world needs more giving and less taking!
I will take all the help I can get, having issues today, if I'm not too responsive it's because I'm having a bad day. Mouthpiece came buy and dropped of some lumber, it's a start, thanks. I have Lowes and Home Depot credit cards and wouldn't be against using them,

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can donate 2x4's to build this.
may have some other 2x's also
Did you by chance measure the porch height? I could probably meet up on Sunday if any others are available with more engineering skills than me. I can measure/cut boards but when it comes to setting the posts and ramp on a 1/12 pitch and stable handrails I'd need a little guidance.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking in my shed this morning and if a cane would help let me know. I am sure we can figure out how to get it to you and I have a few left from our business.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had the wife go out and measure, where the ramp would be it's 38 inches, not too bad. I anyone knows a deck builder I would figure out someway to pay to get it built?

Latest posts

Top Bottom