Reloading 6mm calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats quite a list of wildcats David. I've only shot the factory rounds. Years ago, the .243 was always know as a caliber for a kid or a woman. Low recoil, but real men shot .30 cal or bigger. LOL!

When I finally got one, I found out its very effective, and a great round.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,

for a "factory caliber", I think the 243 Winchester is one of the better calibers on the market. And from a handloading standpoint, I don't think there is a more accurate cartridge out there. Federal Premium ammo, loaded with Sierra's 85 gr. B.T. - H.P Game King bullet, makes for an awesome deer round. It's accuracy and performance on game, is nothing short of AWESOME!

I'm real partial to the wildcat 6mm's, since I reload for everything that I shoot. If you ever get a hankering for a wildcat cartridge, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you....

DAVID

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will do. I see your partial to Sierra bullets. I am as well. I've tested several bullets in my 40 year deer hunting history, mostly early on. (for the record, I've tested very few of the bullets from the last 10 years or so and there are some fine ones out there.)
My Go-to bullet for deer as determined by the internal damage is the .308 Sierra HPBT Game King. It absolutly turns the innards into jelly. The same bullet in the Soft Point, puts a nice hole through them, and they die, but nowhere near as quick as the HP.
Like I said earlier, I've loaded some 165 grain Barnes TTS boat tail rounds for use on elk. Used them on a couple of white tail at 400+ yds, and had great results. I used a ballistics calculator and didn't compensate for the improved BC, so they flew higher than calculated. Both does fell from spine shots.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like Sierra bullets and within certain range limitations, I shoot the following:

.224 / 55 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

6mm / 85 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.257 / 90 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.257 / 120 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.264 / 130 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

270 / 140 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

7mm / 140 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King

7mm / 160 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.308 / 165 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King

The best thing about these bullets, is that no matter the velocity or distance - bullet performance is always the same - at least in my own experience...

I have shot the .308 165 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King bullet in a Super 14" Contender barrel chambered in my 308X444 Improved, a Remington 700 Varmint Special in 308 Winchester, a Winchester M70 in 30-06, a 300 H&H Target rifle, a custom 300 Weatherby and a 30-338. Regardless of cartridge, velocity or distance, bullet performance is always the same...

For the lower velocity .30 caliber cartridges, I limit the distance to 300-400 yds. and for the magnums, I normally limit the shooting distance to around 600 yds.. My reason for limiting the distance has nothing to do with performance on game, but rather the lower ballistic coefficiency of these bullets, as compared to that of Sierra's B.T. Spitzer bullets....

DAVID

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D&T- That is quite a list of 6mm's. I had a chance to get a 6-284 a few months ago and passed due to being built on a short action.

I've shot Bergers with good success for the last couple years but am now finding that Sierra has some nice offerings that compete with the high BC Bergers so I'm going to give them a shot. I like the price of them a little better too.

OK243

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ackley- This is not a great picture but it is the only one I have right now.

i1196.photobucket.com_albums_aa417_jwood47_photo2_2.jpg

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do like Sierra bullets and within certain range limitations, I shoot the following:

.224 / 55 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

6mm / 85 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.257 / 90 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.257 / 120 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.264 / 130 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

270 / 140 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

7mm / 140 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King

7mm / 160 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King...

.308 / 165 gr. B.T. - H.P. Game King

So do you shoot Game King or Match King? The way you have it listed makes it sound that Game King is hollow point (it isn't).

Latest posts

Top Bottom