Reloading "Mentor"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonfiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued follow up guys.
On your advice, I went ahead and grabbed a pretty good combo deal of the Speer Manual, and the updated "Modern Reloading". I'm making my way through both now, and have learned quite a bit more.

SSG - thanks for the powder suggestion, that's one thing I was a little in the dark about, seems there are endless combinations of powder. As for bullets, JK in Moore seems to offer a pretty good quality lead bullet for a good price. I'm in Midwest City, so they're not far away, and it saves me money on the Hazmat shipping fees and whatnot.

Still need to grab some equipment, that's next on my list.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
check out the lee anniversary kit. around $120 with free shipping on ebay. the powder measure leaves a little to be desired but the rest is good to go. even if you upgrade or add another press, i would bet the lee turret will be on your bench for a long time to come.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have a new guy at work wanting to get into reloading. Basically pistol, .
Hooked him up on a black friday sale on a RCBS Rock chucker kit, and he got it yesterday. I have my work cut out for me.
His comments: "Just pick out what bullet and powder you want me to shoot, and I'll load it"
Need I say, he needs to pull the ripcord on his parachute.
I'll have to catch him alone, and go through the basics, before he even orders some powder. Another co-worker just got his FFL, and is into reloading, so we should be able to get him started in the right direction.
I remember back in my start, we didn't have the internet, and had to rely on the reloading manuals for all of our reloading data. Now there is so much data out there that its almost mind boggling. One also needs to keep in mind that internet forum info, may not always be correct. I still rely on the factory data to make sure the loads are safe.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I have a new guy at work wanting to get into reloading. Basically pistol, .
Hooked him up on a black friday sale on a RCBS Rock chucker kit, and he got it yesterday. I have my work cut out for me.
His comments: "Just pick out what bullet and powder you want me to shoot, and I'll load it"
Need I say, he needs to pull the ripcord on his parachute.
I'll have to catch him alone, and go through the basics, before he even orders some powder. Another co-worker just got his FFL, and is into reloading, so we should be able to get him started in the right direction.
I remember back in my start, we didn't have the internet, and had to rely on the reloading manuals for all of our reloading data. Now there is so much data out there that its almost mind boggling. One also needs to keep in mind that internet forum info, may not always be correct. I still rely on the factory data to make sure the loads are safe.

Yep I learned from my dad and his friend. They were big into the contender pistol matches so there was always a lot of reloading going on. He was a fire fighter in Bartlesville, at the east side station, they had a "reloading center" along one end of the hose bay. I'm sure that wouln't fly today.

Bonfiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued support guys.
Still haven't purchased any equipment, had to make sure the tots were taken care of for Christmas first. I did decide on a setup though, asking "Santa" to bring me a Lee 4 hole turret press kit. Seems to be a good balance of affordability in a package I shouldn't outgrow should I decide this is just as fun as shooting.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I learned from my dad and his friend. They were big into the contender pistol matches so there was always a lot of reloading going on. He was a fire fighter in Bartlesville, at the east side station, they had a "reloading center" along one end of the hose bay. I'm sure that wouln't fly today.

Don't know...I've reloaded many a round at the fire station. There have been several occasions where all the guys at the station got involved cause they were so curious about the process.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued support guys.
Still haven't purchased any equipment, had to make sure the tots were taken care of for Christmas first. I did decide on a setup though, asking "Santa" to bring me a Lee 4 hole turret press kit. Seems to be a good balance of affordability in a package I shouldn't outgrow should I decide this is just as fun as shooting.

If you can get that Lee press in a kit do it. You will need all of the extras that come in the kit. The kit should have a manual in it.

Read the manual.

Get the Lee deluxe pistol carbide four die set. Take it one step at a time and you will be fine. It would be easiest to start with new brass and load it. If you have any questions stop and get the answer before you go any farther.

Reread the manual or pm me or anyone else on the forum. You could even go into H and H or another gun store and ask dumb questions. Keep it simple to start with. I think you said 9mm? Get some full metal jacket bullets to start with.

Reread the manual. Most of us that reload like seeing new people try it. It helps keep the shooting sports alive. Don't load very many rounds before you function fire a few rounds in your gun.

When you are reloading don't allow any distractions in the area you are using. Selecting a good place to mount your press is important too. You won't save money when you start reloading. It will cost less per shot but you will shoot so much more that you will spend more money on components and new equipment than you did buying ammo. You will enjoy your gun more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom