Restoring my last Fire Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last one I will do. I have restored over a hundred of them, gave them to young Firemen that I worked with over the years for their homes as well as the homes we have had. Some I made functional as a Yard Sprinkler. But most were just for yard decoration.

I have enjoyed doing them over the years. They are getting heavy to lift onto the Workbench. Most of them were around 250lbs. Had a dozen old 1930s that were close to 500.

I strip them down to bare metal, rust proof the innards, and clean the brass outlets and rust proof the threads on the caps, then prime and paint. Repair the chains on the caps if needed. And mount them to sewer main cap bases.

As above, the last one I am doing for the last Home we are now remodeling to live in. A passing milestone! Just finished priming this last one, have to wait 48 hours to put top coat on.

I‘ll post a photo of it painted soon.

IMG_7970.pngIMG_5167.pngIMG_5166.pngIMG_5165.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't know they could be privately owned, restored, or displayed.

Cast iron, brass, stainless; they are heavy. A beer tap would be cool, though.

Neat project

Yes, not an issue. Once they are out of commission they are scrapped. They are pricey nowadays. I used to buy them in lots of 50 or more. Now they are expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom